Weather Where You Are

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is currently 45 but warming to 70. The highest high in the 10-day forecast is 77, the lowest high is 70. The highest low is 64, the lowest low is 57. Historically I still have over a 50% chance of a frost but it jut doesn't feel like it this year. I'm still trying to hold off on planting the warm weather crops a bit, probably the end of this month. See if I can hold out that long.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This area has less than 20" of annual precipitation each year. Lots of people don't have snowblowers. Lots of people stuff their garages and park in the driveway. My garage shouldn't be called that. The previous owner put in a wood floor.

I don't believe that I have ever experienced a storm that left 12" of snow at my home, @Zeedman . The recent 8" was about as much as can be expected. That added up to 18" on the ground.

Moving 12" of snow with a shovel, at once? Somebody better help me with that!

Steve
more snow on its way

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is currently 45 but warming to 70. The highest high in the 10-day forecast is 77, the lowest high is 70. The highest low is 64, the lowest low is 57. Historically I still have over a 50% chance of a frost but it jut doesn't feel like it this year. I'm still trying to hold off on planting the warm weather crops a bit, probably the end of this month. See if I can hold out that long.
Work with a service that gives trends, Bogalusa, LA has a predicted low of 37 degrees on 3/1. Other than that mid 40’s and lo 50’s for lows. Coldest nights from 3/1-3/9. New Orleans low was 41.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband started taking snow off the roof yesterday. Ugh. I dread it when he feels compelled to get up there and remove it.
Not only because of the obvious danger, but it makes such a mess and I am the default ground crew that shovels out the doorways.

I don't know how the physics work, but did you know that snow gains weight as it comes off the roof and lands on the ground?
:confused: It's like shoveling wet concrete.

Reactions: pjn

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how the physics work, but did you know that snow gains weight as it comes off the roof and lands on the ground?
:confused: It's like shoveling wet concrete.

It probably knocks the air out of it so it is more like slush than snow. I've lived where I had to shovel it, much prefer a dry snow to a wet snow.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It probably knocks the air out of it so it is more like slush than snow. I've lived where I had to shovel it, much prefer a dry snow to a wet snow.

I was mostly kidding, but it definitely compresses it. The highest piles, where dh has dropped the most off the roof have to be attacked with a square nose steel shovel. The snow shovels just dig in a few inches and bend.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our good neighbor came to assist with snow moving today. He and his tractor are a thing of beauty! :love

He has a big snowblower implement on the back and he backed up to the front of the house (which is actually on the side, behind the driveway and garage, the way our house is oriented) where dh had thrown roof snow.
Took care of all that mess in minutes!

He apologized for the accidental gouge he put in the lawn, but I told him he could gouge my lawn all day, I don't care.
He saved us hours of labor.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buy... a.... snow.....blower..... Handy piece of machinery in north...
I have one. It throws the snow-covered gravel out of the driveway with great efficiency. I suppose I could just rotate parking between the driveway & the adjacent lawn, following the gravel. o_O

Eventually I hope to put in a concrete driveway, if other priorities (such as a patio collapsed by last year's record snowfall) would quit interfering with my plans. :he

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This area has less than 20" of annual precipitation each year. Lots of people don't have snowblowers. Lots of people stuff their garages and park in the driveway. My garage shouldn't be called that. The previous owner put in a wood floor.

I don't believe that I have ever experienced a storm that left 12" of snow at my home, @Zeedman . The recent 8" was about as much as can be expected. That added up to 18" on the ground.

Moving 12" of snow with a shovel, at once? Somebody better help me with that!

Steve
more snow on its way

most of the time we don't have to be anywhere so if it takes us a few days to dig out it is ok.

it is the ice this year that i worry about more than the snow.

Latest posts