Weather Where You Are

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This morning we had brilliant blue skies . Enter 10:30 am and snow fluries coming down from a few fluffy skies and 36*. Enter 11: 07 am and we get a blizzard ... where are the snow plows and send out the St. Bernards with their brandy barrels. Come 12:55 and the blizzard is all gone. Back to your normal grey clouds.
But wait... not a snow flake lasted more than a minute on the ground. It started to drizzle just before 5 pm for about an hour. This morning the sun is trying to peak through the overcast skies. The weather report says that we will get 6 - 8 inches of snow this weekend. Stay tuned for evacuation instructions or perish at your own risk ... :caf

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
https://wadairy.org/winter-storm-yakima/

Winter Storm Devastates Yakima Valley Dairy Community

Snow, freezing temperatures, and winds reaching 80 mph hit Yakima, a farming region in south central Washington about a week ago.

Over 1600 cows died.

Steve
Shouldn't dairy cows be in barns? How sad. Or were they in barns? When I lived in Kansas they were always having beef cattle die out in pastures and even grass fires. They would get caught out there and die in the fires, but I had read something about New York and other states up in the N.E. that they had these big huge barns and all the dairy cattle came in and showed huge piles of snow almost burying everything, but the cows in the barns happy and warm.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shouldn't dairy cows be in barns? How sad. Or were they in barns? When I lived in Kansas they were always having beef cattle die out in pastures and even grass fires. They would get caught out there and die in the fires, but I had read something about New York and other states up in the N.E. that they had these big huge barns and all the dairy cattle came in and showed huge piles of snow almost burying everything, but the cows in the barns happy and warm.
Maybe they only come in to be milked?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The story is that they crowd in on each other in the cold.

After awhile, they begin to do each other harm.

I don't know if this includes all ages of the dairy cattle.

Steve

Latest posts