Weather Where You Are

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whoa! That animated radar map is intimidating!

WS says morning temperatures here in the 30's by the end of the week. We shall see. They had made today sound kinda bad a few days ago with deteriorating Saturday afternoon weather. It seems that the turn is about 24 hours later and not quite as bad.

Something that has been going on is that the east side of the Cascades has been getting good rainstorms. This really helps that area that suffered so much from fires a few years ago. That storm pattern may continue.

Steve
alright fancy pants. I go on international sites and you need to use an f or a c for celcius if that is even the right spelling. Fall temps are particularly confusing if the author is ignorant of his or her audience. Its just that its better tend to understand who is looking at them, and we tend to not actually care. I mean we want to, sort of, in a way, but should you not just be better prepared as a reader? Ok ok its a small issue...just sayin..

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are wanting me to indicate Celsius or Fahrenheit after the "WS says morning temperatures here in the 30's," Dirtmechanic?

Okay, 30's on the Fahrenheit scale.

Not all that many of the Northern Hemisphere TEG gardeners would be expecting a morning temperature in the 30's Celsius (90° Fahrenheit) in late September.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we picked up over three inches of rain last night/this morning. where did it all go? i look out the window and see no puddles... all soaked in already.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are wanting me to indicate Celsius or Fahrenheit after the "WS says morning temperatures here in the 30's," Dirtmechanic?

Okay, 30's on the Fahrenheit scale.

Not all that many of the Northern Hemisphere TEG gardeners would be expecting a morning temperature in the 30's Celsius (90° Fahrenheit) in late September.

Steve
Exactly, it is in the 90f range here in Birmingham though. Crazy hot September so far, and dry as old bones.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exactly, it is in the 90f range here in Birmingham though. Crazy hot September so far, and dry as old bones.
Wish I could say that. We've already surpassed last year's record rainfall, with more rain forecast almost every day for the next week. Can't walk in the garden any more without scraping mud off my shoes (DW will let me have it if I don't). :hide Much like last year, I'm wondering if the ground will ever be dry enough for me to put in my garlic. The grass never turned brown here this summer, and many farm fields remain unplanted even now. Hopefully we'll get a break in October... unless that happens, I may just have to give up on garlic. Which would break this gardeners heart, because I love garlic, and the thought of actually buying it is unbearable.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cousin just posted on his Facebook page that they got 3.5 inches rain in Apache Jct, AZ Everything flooding.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cousin just posted on his Facebook page that they got 3.5 inches rain in Apache Jct, AZ Everything flooding.
From my perspective, 3.5" is a good rain. It's hard for me to fathom floods with just 3.5", but in a desert I guess there isn't anywhere for the water to drain off. Hope your cousin's house isn't flooded.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wish I could say that. We've already surpassed last year's record rainfall, with more rain forecast almost every day for the next week. Can't walk in the garden any more without scraping mud off my shoes (DW will let me have it if I don't). :hide Much like last year, I'm wondering if the ground will ever be dry enough for me to put in my garlic. The grass never turned brown here this summer, and many farm fields remain unplanted even now. Hopefully we'll get a break in October... unless that happens, I may just have to give up on garlic. Which would break this gardeners heart, because I love garlic, and the thought of actually buying it is unbearable.
I had a serious thought today of setting a white sheet cloth roof over the garden to moderate the sun. Rain is a problem of getting higher. We cannot plant except in hillrows or higher due to spring drowning already. Your post made me think of one of those Amazon "good deals" I bought that is still sitting in the shed unused. They are grow bags and water trays. I "may" use them inside this winter, as I have some grow lights. I wonder if something like that would work for your garlic?

Also, does anybody know a good recipe for smelt? We used to catch them out of the Kuskokwim river at Bethel, AK and LO there they were in my grocery here in the deep south. My kettle grill and I have a date for fish. I am pretty sure I am going to fry them in a wok.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i've planted garlic later than October sometimes so you may get a dry enough spell in to get it planted. :)

Latest posts