Weather Where You Are

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow! so soon! we have two days in the low 80s forecast for this week. no frost in the forecast. so far. *knocks on wood head* way way too much rain though. the fields are all puddled.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gosh, I wish I like the taste of Swiss Chard. I grew it this year as an ornamental and the Bright Lights are really pretty.

We like it very young here, and tender. Also the colors are beautiful. When greens get big enough they start to be bitter, my mother chops them boils them once or twice, changing the water each time, then squeezes all of the water out of them before sticking them in the freezer in handful-sized balls. Every batch of soup or spaghetti sauce gets a ball of frozen leaves. They might not be the most nutritious that way, but we will all eat them. Mom does that with all types of greens, including mustard, spinach, and a weed that grows wild in the yard that she calls poke.

I also like chard leaves as a cabbage substitute in cabbage rolls.

As for weather, it is still very hot here. All of the animals with their emerging winter coats are huddled close to the ac vents. The pyrenees has decided he is a house dog, instead of just coming in to eat and hang out with us for a few hours in the evening. We did get quite a bit of rain last night, which was sorely needed. Starting to see bits of brilliant orange in the trees...

Goodbye summer, hello fall!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
uhg! another storm heading directly at us. weather forecast says chance of rain after 4pm. i don't see how we miss this one until that late. hope so though because i really need to get out and check out the bean patches. maybe it fades out before getting to us? that does happen some times, but not usually with the bigger storms... *crosses fingers/toes/etc*

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
uhg! another storm heading directly at us. weather forecast says chance of rain after 4pm. i don't see how we miss this one until that late. hope so though because i really need to get out and check out the bean patches. maybe it fades out before getting to us? that does happen some times, but not usually with the bigger storms... *crosses fingers/toes/etc*
We got 2 1/2 to 3 inches overnight, I think it is headed your way. Enough now, farmers are wanting in the fields soon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got 2 1/2 to 3 inches overnight, I think it is headed your way. Enough now, farmers are wanting in the fields soon.

looks like the forecast is lyin again. "mainly after 4pm..." nope, gonna be here soon unless i just breaks up as it comes through the valley. that does happen at times, but just doesn't look like it will this time. there's already light sprinkles...

some fields of soybeans are brown already, but most have a bit of green left in them so the farmers won't need to get into those yet. a lot of green corn still standing. still a little early for much of the harvest. too warm for sugar beets. dunno what of this year's plantings will be any good since so many were late. in some fields the soybeans are about 6 inches tall.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe it's still snowing here. :(
Apparently it hasn't snowed here in September since 1926.

I thought we'd see a few flakes that wouldn't stick, big deal (yaaawwn), but no, it's several inches so far and sticking well.
Syringa who is not a big fan of enclosed shelters was actually standing in hers most of yesterday and so far today to block the cold wind. The horses are getting their winter coats, but aren't as wooly yet as they need to be for this kind of wind and temperature plunge.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We set a record yesterday, 95 F. Previous record for October 1st was 94. We are supposed to set another high record today. Has not rained in a couple of weeks so things are getting pretty dry for here.

Yesterday, the TV weather reporter said we would get cooler temperatures and maybe some rain by Sunday. The news anchor threatened to give out his cell phone number if we didn't get relief in six days.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
they have flood watch warnings now. we took in the yard ornaments and rain guage the other day so i can't say how much rain we've had the past few days, but it's a mess out there now with more coming - it was a muddy mess before this most recent bout. the storm track has been going on for a few days starting way down in eastern NM then coming all the way through us and heading east.