Weather Where You Are

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday I celebrated "No frost day". :ya Historically, October 5th is the date of our average killing frost. It looks to be about a week away, so an extra week to harvest snap beans, tomatoes, and bring in more dry seed. The garden is greener than it would usually be at this point, still enough foliage to get lost in... summer's last hurrah. The lawn is a lot greener too, chiefly because its been too wet to cut it.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday I celebrated "No frost day". :ya Historically, October 5th is the date of our average killing frost. It looks to be about a week away, so an extra week to harvest snaps beans, tomatoes, and bring in more dry seed. The garden is greener than it would usually be at this point, still enough foliage to get lost in... summer's last hurrah. The lawn is a lot greener too, chiefly because its been too wet to cut it.

still no frost in the forecast for here either - the lowest overnight temperature is 40F. here it might be a few degrees different since we are down lower. and finally no rain in the forecast until Friday. it did rain again here last night so i'm not sure what i will be doing today. bean check in a few days.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Gotten really Fall weather for the last 5 days. Still, things are growing. I am SO GLAD that I bought and grew 5 yellow mums last Fall. I knew that they were too little to survive, they even starting flowering in May, but when I transplanted them their flowers dried up, they grew 4x as big in the ground and are now Covered with flowers in their respective beds. I bought and transplanted four 4 inch pot lavender mums 2 weeks ago and I will mulch them heavily in about one month. We will see if they make it through the winter. They are in the NW bed in front of the garage in a mixture of soil and mulch, doing well. I plan to pick up about 10 of them when they go on clearance end of month, usually for about 50 cents/each, and see about growing them inside upstairs. I plan to give survivord to DD's and my Vet. For US, pretty much any Fall mums in pots are only ornamental. There just isn't enough time for them to get a good enough root system to make it through the winter, but they come and go So fast in the box stores in the Spring, that it's easy to miss them when you SHOULD be planting mums.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snow.

It is right at freezing and the ground isn't frozen. The snow must be melting under couple of inches that blankets the outdoors.

A sunflower that stood green after some hard frost in the yard has fallen down. Because the deciduous trees have not fully shed their leaves and branches are breaking, many power outages are being reported.

Steve