Weather Where You Are

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It was unseasonably warm yesterday, upper sixties, and we had a storm blow through last night, followed by a windstorm with straight line gusts of 60 mph...until nearly four this afternoon. I was awake most of the night listening to the house creak while the wind roared. No serious damage, thankfully, but I have lost a few loose shingles that need replacing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We waited a full month for morning temperatures to be back in the teens, Fahrenheit.

While so many other areas to the east had such dramatic weather, things were almost static here. The soil surface is very dry. I almost feel like apologizing when I walk on the lawn grass. I would never have allowed it to dry out during summer as much as it has. All of November precipitation will amount to less than 3/4".

I could have said something a day or two ago about the 40mph winds that blew our frosty, foggy mornings away and introduced this current cold. That didn't compare to 60mph and near-60 that some of you experienced! Now, we might go right back to the static, dry weather. The recent snarled traffic and dozens of accidents on i90 during the tiniest of snowstorms shows how local drivers are unaccustomed to winter road conditions.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my sister sent a pic of her birdbath being capped by a foot of fresh snow. she lives in the hills north of Santa Fe, NM...

the birdbath was made by Mom her last visit out that ways many years ago now.

we did have rains and wind from that same storm but no damage here. we're in the middle of a mostly open area so strong winds are expected. it was still fun to watch the storm roll through and all the trees were wagging their branches at us.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nah, it's the commercial media itself:

I have noticed that the WS is taking to social media with more informative posts. Despite the maze within the WS webpages themselves, the service is all about providing useful information. Because, although everybody complains about the weather, nobody actually does anything about it.

;) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
slushy snow today. just to move around a bit i went out and pushed it off the drive. most of it was already melted. i hope it drains off before it freezes tonight. maybe more snow, rain, gunk tonight/tomorrow.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've had our few minutes of sunshine today. try to get out for a walk later. it's been so cloudy this past week. hardly any sunshine at all. i guess that's as good a reason as any for most of the trees to pack it in for the winter... i'd hibernate if i could. at least for a few weeks. i guess i kinda do anyways with all the reading i get done. 6 books this week so far. one to go. i saved the smallest for last.

Latest posts