Weed Cloth-Anybody Use It?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a section of the garden that we are going to use the weed cloth on. We got a huge load of triple thick pumpkin boxes that we are going to lay down and cover with mulch, it's our 3rd year to get them. So we are not going to cover the whole garden, just a part of it to see if it is going to work or not.

make sure to overlap them enough that the seams aren't easily exploited. the mulch will also help with that too, but it can also hide the weeds that are sneaking through so you do want to scout it out once in a while.

MinnesotaGardening

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use weed cloth between the rows in a good portion of my garden. I used to cut holes for the plants, but now I prefer laying it between the rows. That way I can work with the plants easier- if I need to dig up around them I can just pull back the cloth. I roll mine up in the fall to reuse them and they last several years. It is a huge time saver in my garden. I haven't noticed any decrease in worm/insect activity underground, but the ones I use are quite breathable and let water go through fairly easily. Mine also don't stick flat to the soil, I just stake them down along the edges so the wind doesn't get them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use weed cloth between the rows in a good portion of my garden. I used to cut holes for the plants, but now I prefer laying it between the rows. That way I can work with the plants easier- if I need to dig up around them I can just pull back the cloth. I roll mine up in the fall to reuse them and they last several years. It is a huge time saver in my garden. I haven't noticed any decrease in worm/insect activity underground, but the ones I use are quite breathable and let water go through fairly easily. Mine also don't stick flat to the soil, I just stake them down along the edges so the wind doesn't get them.

What brand do you use? I have read reviews on some that said water didn’t go through easily.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is a good point. There are LOTS of commercial nurseries here and they all use weed cloth. I’ll give it a whirl.
I found some great deals on weed cloth
Check them out.

MinnesotaGardening

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What brand do you use? I have read reviews on some that said water didn’t go through easily.
I honestly don't remember, its been a few years since I've bought any. I've used a nylon-like woven pattern that I didn't like as much. Now I use one that feels fairly cloth-like. Sorry I cant be more helpful. I get it at a local farm supply store.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The basic $15/ 3' wide roll worked great for me last year. If you remember I ripped out the sod in corner of my yard and then failed to get anything to grow. I put down the weed barrier with U Staples made from the surveys flags. Then did nothing with the area. The tinny leaved weeds grew over top. BUT I was able to easily pull up weed cloth intact after one year taking the weeds with it. I waited a week and the shriveled weeds were easy to pull off the cloth so I could reuse it.

Latest posts