Well good grief...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a pretty garden. I really like those metal troughs as a raised bed. It all looks so nice and healthy, sprawled out in front of your chicken coops (and probably makes it handier to toss them the extra tomatoes.) :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Mary!
I'm guessing I have maybe 80 birds, divided between the two coops.

The red coop/yard is all bantams and 3 baby geese. The red coop is 8x8 and the attached covered yard 10x30.

The larger coop/yard is where the standard sized birds are, along w/ a handful of ducks and 2 geese. That coop is 10x16, with a 10x16 covered yard and attached 30x50 (or is it 30x60? I can't recall off-hand) run.

Once the garden gets bigger and it's not so easy for the birds to pluck the garden clean, they get to free-range in the back yard during the day.

The blue tubs are what the molasses/mineral supplements for our cattle come in, which we put out for the cows once or twice per year. Once the tubs are empty, I drill holes in the bottoms and use them as planters. In years past I've used them for tomato, but this year I'm using them for cucumber, loufa, and small cantaloup.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Journey, not only is the location handy for hucking weeds, but mostly I decided to tuck the new coop behind the garden to act as a wind block from the fast, HOT southern winds we get alllllll summer long. AND, it keeps the birds in the shade most of the day/afternoon as well!

The beds I have in front of my older coop grow so well for that reason, so I thought putting the new coop behind the garden was the perfect solution. And, I'm hoping it acts as somewhat of a bug defense as well from our back pasture. Those dreaded grasshoppers we deal with, you know! :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here is another photo...
The low bed in the front of the photo is 8x24 edge to edge, but this year I brought more soil up to the center for better root growth. So, that bed is really more like 10x5, and then 5x5 (divided by a walkway). The smaller end has 4 tomatoes (out of frame on the left), and the larger end has assorted squash that I didn't write down. Haa! The big trough is radish and cuc's that will grow up two round cages. The small trough is two tomato.

Behind the troughs there are 3 4x8 beds w/ zucchini, cuc's, yellow squash, and even a tomato...
Then another row of 4x8 beds w/ more zuc, cuc, scallop squash, radish and spinach...
Then the tubs...
Then 2 more 4x8 beds w/ mostly tomatoes, a few butternut squash, and a zuc.
And finally, a big stand of volunteer sunflowers at the corner of the chicken yard.

Phwew. :)

6a00d8341c2d2753ef01a511c006dc970c-800wi

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Hi Steve! Yup, Dad still hosts the wild turkeys that live in their little valley. And yes, Newport sure was my old stomping grounds! I think we moved there when I was 2ish... grew up there. Mom and Dad still live there... I sure do miss it, that's for SURE! Who knows, maybe someday the mister and I will relocate. And I can buy tomatoes from you! Haa! :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks, Red! :) I do enjoy my coops and garden. I don't particularly care for living where we do (I'm about 2300 miles misplaced), so I keep the chickens and garden, and CRAFT like a mad woman to keep my mind and body occupied. Otherwise, the reality of where we live just depresses me, and I just want to sit on the couch and eat ice cream. How's that for honesty.... hahaaa!! :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're right! That IS a lot of chickens! But yes, I sell the eggs. :)
The girls are allowed to live out their lives here on our farm.... one of my girls turned 9 this spring, and I have lots of them who are now 7.

Latest posts