What are you canning now?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL I don't let clients use bathroom the bathing tub is in there. After a morning of washing dogs it gets funky.
We used "Pine sol " on the Vet. Med Teaching Hospital areas after a day's worth of necropsies for the daily " show and tell" sessions for facalty, staff, students and clients to neutralize the walfting funk. ( dog fat is the worst !!! :sick)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
ROOSTERS!
This past Saturday was the long-awaited, scheduled day for my neighbor and I to 'clean out' our coops. This Saturday was also 28degrees!!! After some debate, we decided to limit it to only the ones that "HAD TO GO!". We did the actual killing out near the barn as usual, then transported them to the back porch and skinned/gutted in my kitchen. :thI was skeptical how this was going to work but all in all it wasn't TOO bad. After they were all in coolers we went to get some lunch. When we walked back in the house I stopped and said "OH MY GAWD!!! It smells like a giant chicken fart in here!" I got 3 diffusers going and the stink was gone by Sunday morning.
... or maybe it was just replaced by the smell of 2 crock pots going with 4.5 gallons of rich broth cooking in them!
Ended up with 9 pints of meat and 18 pints broth. WHEEEeeeeeee:weee

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane how long do you cook chicken in crock pot ? Everytime I try chicken turns to mush, reminds me of catfood and I throw out.

Well, I was cooking the carcasses to make broth so it didn't matter HOW the chicken turned out because it was going back out to the coop anyway.
But what I do is to quarter a big onion, peel and chop several carrots into 3rds, add a handful of garlic cloves, a bayleaf, a handful of dehydrated celery bits, a bit of salt & pepper, and a bit of any other herbs that strike my fancy at the moment and the carcasses into my biggest crockpot. Cover with water and set on low for 24hrs or so. Every now and then I poke it with a big wooden spoon to break up the ribs/backs and give it a stir. By the time it's done, the bones are so brittle that they just crumble. I dip everything out of the crock pot and strain it into a big mixing bowl to cool some while I set up the canner and wash jars. This lets me be able to skim off a good bit of fat before putting into the jars. I usually skim a bit more fat once it's in the jars. What was caught in the strainer is a nasty looking wad of mushy meat & veggies and crumbled bone bits. The chickens are THRILLED with the protein treat the next day. Then I just process the jars by the recipe.
You COULD do this with the carcass of a single roasted bird and then freeze in quart bags for later use. ;) Would make amazing rice or mashed potatoes or soup or chicken and dumplings or.......

I wouldn't try to cook a whole chicken in the crock and expect it to turn out like a roasted bird. Crocks are best at cooking something at low heat and high moisture for the purpose of making it 'fall off the bone' tender.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this is a definition of canning i've not thought about in a while... (toilets :) )

as for actual canning, if you want crunchy pickles that stuff called pickle crisp works well. and nice because it isn't a salt.

we do put some salt and sugar in even the dill pickles we make. they don't last long enough to worry about how crunchy they are. we made 70 - 80 quarts of pickles and most of them are already gone or given away.

p.s. i've found i like the pickled dill even more than the pickles... :)

dang, now i want me some dill pickles for brekkie... :) made lima beans yesterday and now i'm going to have some for breakfast.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
ROOSTERS!
This past Saturday was the long-awaited, scheduled day for my neighbor and I to 'clean out' our coops. This Saturday was also 28degrees!!! After some debate, we decided to limit it to only the ones that "HAD TO GO!". We did the actual killing out near the barn as usual, then transported them to the back porch and skinned/gutted in my kitchen. :thI was skeptical how this was going to work but all in all it wasn't TOO bad. After they were all in coolers we went to get some lunch. When we walked back in the house I stopped and said "OH MY GAWD!!! It smells like a giant chicken fart in here!" I got 3 diffusers going and the stink was gone by Sunday morning.
... or maybe it was just replaced by the smell of 2 crock pots going with 4.5 gallons of rich broth cooking in them!
Is this the pressure canner they go into? Just want to make sure.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ROOSTERS!
This past Saturday was the long-awaited, scheduled day for my neighbor and I to 'clean out' our coops. This Saturday was also 28degrees!!!

i admire anyone who can do this, but it is not something i can do.

i have to wash a pan three times before the smell from meat cooking doesn't turn my stomach (if you've ever been a vegetarian you know what i'm talking about).

we mostly do not cook meat here at all these days so when we do it is noticed.

that funk you smell... my earliest memories from when Dad went duck hunting and brought back hundreds of them with all his friends and they'd sit around, get drunk and clean ducks. feathers all over, smell, etc.

all these many years later i can now think that all those goodies would make for some wonderful garden soil eventually. :)

how many chickens do you have now?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Mary,
You have to use a pressure canner for meat and for any vegetable that is low acid. Years ago I tried water bathing pumpkin and the jars were good...for awhile, about 5 months, and then the contents began to rot.
At some point they were grow botulism and heave the lid and maybe, even, explode.
On the other hand recently I found and used a quart of tomatoes that I had hot water bath canned in 2011. You KNOW when tomatoes go bad and I always use a smell and taste test.
I also add 10 minutes more to my hot water bath canning than is called for and ALWAYS reheat immediately any jars if the lid isn't perfect, so I don't lose the contents.
I will let you all know how my pressure canning this weekend turns out. I have a LOT of pumpkin to process!!
I bought 3 giant pumpkins and I grew 4 medium sized ones, which, after some research I discovered are recommended for pies.
I just Love to make a pumpkin pie in the morning on a day I have off and it's my brunch, lunch and dessert after dinner.

Latest posts