What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
While @Phaedra Geiermann is checking her files for that marmalade recipe ... I've finally reached the state of garden production that's my goal, every year. Oh, there's more that I'm looking forward to! But, for awhile, it would seem that I won't starve ...

Calories. I've got em! Probably too many for what is good for me but there's more than some little, new potatoes - there are BIG new potatoes. And, there's sweetcorn :). Did you know that fruit averages out at 10% sugar? Of course, the melons are what I'm looking forward to but, I suspect that the bowl of cherry tomatoes on the kitchen table is about 10% sugar, too!

Let's see ... A good potato and sweetcorn year ... I suppose that I could get in trouble. In at a doctor's office the other day. Did you know Steve's summer attire weighs 4.5 pounds? I checked after coming home. I'm only 20# above what I weighed most of my adult life and still, 10# below the maximum ... suspect that it would be far better to lose 10# than gain it :).

This is the good food thread. We can talk about good food that results in weight loss, if'n we eat enuf of it. Sure, that's possible. Getting the lettuce transplants out in the big veggie garden means that we finally have plenty of lettuce since there are so few House Sparrows in that neighborhood. (Notice @Marie2020 that I didn't call the little salad-hungry critters "English" sparrows this time ;).)

This Department of Agriculture webpage tells us that fresh romaine lettuce has 20 calories per 100 grams. Nutritionists tell us that we need about 2000 calories per day. Think that you can eat 10000 grams of lettuce in 24 hours? Let's see ... 10,000 grams is 22 pounds ..!

Let's say that we would be comfortable with 32+ ounces of food. Two pounds of food 10 times a day, plus snacks? 😬 Of course, my leafy greens are various, even at this time of year: beet greens, chard, amaranth, cabbage, kale, there is even some bok choy in the shade since it isn't quite the draw for the sparrows.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What is your recipe please?! We just picked our first harvest ever from our currant bushes and we don’t quite have enough for a full batch of currant jam!
I don't have a fixed recipe for that, I harvested about 450g currants and added about 150g black cherry for a more attractive color. Then 250g sugar (usually it's suggested to use half weight of the fruits), rest overnight, and at the end we got 3 bottles. I kept one in the pantry, one for my father in law, one for a neighbor, I don't need a lot of same jam, but along the seasons, different combination of fruits (and flowers) would give us a good variety.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Enjoy some fresh raspberries while working in the garden. They are just perfectly mature.

P8060147.JPG

P8060131.JPG

P8060133.JPG

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Many goodies from garden to eat today, a Japanese variety tomato, skin is thin and soft, as they are fully ripe on the plants, fully flavorful.
29586.jpg

Some chicken broth left from lunch, so I used it, some mushroom and small pumpkins (some just didn't grow big successfully) to make them into a kind of 炊き込みご飯 .

**Takikomi gohan (炊き込みご飯, 炊き込み御飯) is a Japanese rice dish seasoned with dashi and soy sauce along with mushrooms, vegetables, meat, or fish.

29587.jpg

Also some fried chicken (in fact turkey breast), chopped and marinated in the fridge one full day with the mixture of yogurt, chili, salted lemon, garlic powder and black pepper.

29585.jpg

29591.jpg

29589.jpg

29590.jpg

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many goodies from garden to eat today, a Japanese variety tomato, skin is thin and soft, as they are fully ripe on the plants, fully flavorful.
View attachment 42955

Some chicken broth left from lunch, so I used it, some mushroom and small pumpkins (some just didn't grow big successfully) to make them into a kind of 炊き込みご飯 .

**Takikomi gohan (炊き込みご飯, 炊き込み御飯) is a Japanese rice dish seasoned with dashi and soy sauce along with mushrooms, vegetables, meat, or fish.

View attachment 42956

Also some fried chicken (in fact turkey breast), chopped and marinated in the fridge one full day with the mixture of yogurt, chili, salted lemon, garlic powder and black pepper.

View attachment 42957
View attachment 42958
View attachment 42959

View attachment 42960
That all looks very good.

Latest posts