What are You Eating from the Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Picked my first Petit Gris de Rennes. It was a little hard kneeling on my raised bed and then stretching to try to smell it to see if it was ripe. Lol. Last year they were over ripen. This one was perfect and sooooo sweet and delicious!

Mary
WOW! I understand that you have to know just when to harvest cantaloupe. Unlike a muskmelon, which separates from it's vine when ripe.
Is the taste better?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Purple/blue mashed potatoes. Colour didn't translate well to digital, but it looked like mashed Smurfs. Might look odd but the taste was exceptional. I forgot how good homegrown potatoes are.
20210811_162517.jpg

Having smoothies everyday too with the blueberries, raspberries, haskaps and strawberries frozen from this year's pickings. A little whip cream, a little maple syrup, frozen fruit. Such a treat for my sweet tooth.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Purple/blue mashed potatoes. Colour didn't translate well to digital, but it looked like mashed Smurfs. Might look odd but the taste was exceptional. I forgot how good homegrown potatoes are.
View attachment 43030

Having smoothies everyday too with the blueberries, raspberries, haskaps and strawberries frozen from this year's pickings. A little whip cream, a little maple syrup, frozen fruit. Such a treat for my sweet tooth.
Smurf potatoes! :lol::lol::lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The crops that mature during the final half of August are late crops, by my thinking. Usually, there is a significant cool-down during late August and the first frost sometime in September. (I'm sure that the locals are all hoping for some measure of normalcy coming in these next few weeks. Yep.)

Some crops require the entire frost-free season. Most cucumbers are not like that, here. In fact, the plants will begin to "play out," soon. Not quite so with Lemon Cucumbers. I had the very first, yesterday. DW had found it for me after I had given up :).

There have been "cool" summers (Oh Heavens, when?). A couple of times, I was a little anxious that frost would take out those sensitive plants before the lemons could be harvested. And, I don't wait for the lemon look to really set in. Too mature, the fruit will be a bright, lemon yellow. Just developing a blush - that's the perfect time for me ☺️ .

So, if you have problems with your cucumber vines playing out in late summer, but want the whole patch to be planted at once, a few lemons might be of help. Only now and then do those vines also play out but they always add to a nice long season.

Steve

Latest posts