What are You Eating from the Garden?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked what will probably be the last okra of the season, I'm pleasantly surprised it was still bearing this late. DW once created a salad, using steamed okra & eggplant (peeled), and fresh tomato, seasoned with vinegar & soy sauce, and served cold. It looks like an odd combination, but the whole family loved it, as did the friends she shared it with. No eggplant this year, but the fresh okra & oxheart tomato were fine without it. Something unique that DW always made to be shared. :hugs
20220926_214131.jpg

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made 6 pumpkin cake rolls and 4 pumpkin pies using last year's pumpkins. All but one pie is agor a fundraiser for my kids school. I'm tired!
If anyone was wondering, the pie is amazing!
After making all the pies, I had quiet a bit of pie filling left so I poured it in a bread pan and baked it with the pies. It is the most amazing custard I've ever had! At least pumpkin.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Zeedman, my 2021 okra patch was bearing until the bitter end last year. It took a couple of freezes to shut them down. Congratulations!!
Oh, and their roots are like burdock roots!! You may want to just cut them off at the ground.
I pulled mine, but I needed my spade to help them along, and the burned real good.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you , fortunately my okra doesn't get very tall, so no large roots. Their cousins the Zebrina mallow though - which I allow to volunteer throughout the gardens - DO get deep tap roots. Those roots rot over the winter though, leaving channels deep into the sub-soil... one more good reason to grow it. After the killing freeze, I mow everything (including the okra & mallow) and turn the chopped debris under, along with shredded leaves & wood ashes.

But hey, since this is a food thread... :) ... these are some of the cooked Madagascar limas:
20220918_164048.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, I am HUNGRY and looking at 4 yard long beans that got too long and thick, and I start thinking, "What If I fry these up in bacon grease?"
Dang it was tasty!!
I once had some leftover bull kelp that we had used in our homemade sushi. We used the blades to wrap our sushi, but I still had the stipe, which is the part of bull kelp that looks like a rubber tube. I sliced it into green bean sized strips and then fried it in bacon grease. It was such a surprise because it tasted just like cooked green beans! If I had had my eyes closed I could've been tricked!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Probably doesn't need saying, but I've been cooking up the last of my fresh tomatoes in soups and stews and it has been so delish. Nothing like fresh tomatoes even when they're cooked. Some sauteed onions, cabbage, few scoops of lentils, tomatoes, fresh parsley and S&P. Colonic health!

Latest posts