What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW claims that she can't eat very spicy food these days. She brought out her recently made salsa sauce for lunch. I put about one teaspoon on all the food on my plate and took a bite.
Good Grief! Was that an Entire
🌶️
on a first bite? Decided that I should have another bite immediately to dilute what I had just eaten. 🔥 THAT was Too Much - choking, koffing!! I don't understand unless I managed to get the better part of 2 Thai Hots in those 2 bites.

My walking the Indoor Mile this afternoon was at the slowest pace that could maintain forward movement.

Steve 🥵

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I take my friend's advice on making salsa, since our family AGREES that their salsa is the very best we have ever had.
They cut up jalepanoes and anchoes into the tiniest slices possible. That way it permeates the rest of the ingredients and you never get a capsaicin explosion in your mouth, like you described, but you get a little heat and great flavor.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I take my friend's advice on making salsa, since our family AGREES that their salsa is the very best we have ever had.
They cut up jalepanoes and anchoes into the tiniest slices possible. That way it permeates the rest of the ingredients and you never get a capsaicin explosion in your mouth, like you described, but you get a little heat and great flavor.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
42082D4A-03BC-4E42-B91C-9CE678099D6E.jpeg

The pepper plant yields were good again this year. I think DW was inspired by the number!

These are the last of them: Thai Hot, Super Chili, Cayenne.

We have no need for so many but a friend asked for whatever extra we have. She has 4 children with several now having adult kids.

Your salsa recipe sounds good, @ducks4you !

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' , not mine, but a good friends recipe. First Salsa Party (2010) came about bc she was my next door neighbor and she and her DH wanted my jalepanoes. She said she made an awesome salsa, we decided on a mutual party and made it.
I was in her kitchen and she and her friend wouldn't let me do anything but watch.
They chopped up everything and the result was "eat this with a spoon" good.
There was a guest who came ONCE and thought she was supposed to bring salsa to share, like some parties.
She never bothered to read my numerous FB posts, which I do every year after I post the party, usually by April.
Instructions are always, "Bring food you like, so you will have something you like to eat."
That's what Everybody else does.
I provide chili and a punch bowl with Sangria with cut/squeezed oranges, lemons and limes, and the paper plates and plastic flatware and napkins.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fried up 1/3 huge zucchini, that was a garden surprise, fully 15 inches long, with garlic powder, pepper, olive oil and parmesean grated with my potato peeler.
YUMM!!!!
I had 6 with lunch and the other 13 are travelling to DD's to have tonight with spaghetti.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
 Still eating refrigerated lettuce and bok choy from the little greenhouse bed. I'm not sure if I'm very happy with the experiment.

I should say that those greens were harvested days ago - no heat on in greenhouse. The last mustard greens from that bed were already tossed. Having pepper plants through the Summer one year certainly worked. What a harvest! And, it  works to have bok choy overwintered in there for a harvest in December and late February/March. I don't really need the benches in there through the winter but it's a bother to cover/uncover the beds during the coldest weather. Not much room for "crops" in a 9x20 greenhouse with 2 paths ;).

Only the lettuce leaves were harvested and we will see if the roots can survive Winter temperatures and grow again by Spring. Late planted, all of this year's greenhouse trial. I was surprised that they didn't burn up with this year's August/September heat. The lettuce is "on its own" for the next few months.

Steve
who had some delicious squash for dinner last night! that was the last of the few that didn't make the trip down the stairs to the basement

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
bok choy,
fried parsnips,
mashed potatoes and celeriac ..

.with baked steelhead fillet - for lunch.

Okay, the trout was not from the garden ;).

Latest posts