What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i had some squash for dinner with cheese and hot sauce added. very tasty. of course i had to snack before dinner as life is short so eat dessert first... cracker crunch (saltines coated with brown sugar and butter cooked at a high enough temperature that it partially is caramel, then chocolate melted on top), then some green chocolate (what we call spinach dip :) ) on crackers before the main course.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Squash? Cha Cha Kabocha, Buttercup and Sweet Meat:

B22AEBB7-D572-4531-A5F0-310138B08321.jpeg
DW wanted to cook one for lunch but, ya know, they would be better if they had a little time to "cure." But, they're pretty darn good already!

What is especially good right now are the mustard greens from the greenhouse:

zgreenhousegreens.png
They are there beyond the bok choy. Now, I gotta say that I'm not much of a fan of mustard greens but, by comparison to their outdoor performance ---- they are so tender. This has been my experience with every green that has grown under plastic film. I guess, it's the absence of UV light. So, even mustard greens are tender. These few greens grew in here in HIGH heat (they should be cooked! ;)). Eggplant is included in the meal and we have Sunday supper.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I forgot to say that I harvested TWO cantaloupe from the surprise vine in the south pasture. This one has sat in the fridge for nearly two weeks. It spoke to me this morning, "I intend to rot here. Do something about it."
Pretty sassy for a melon.
Cut and ate the whole thing. I had a sugar crave.
What?!?!?
Cantaloupe, last one harvested, 10-22-22.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Green Beans.

And, there are 10 quart bags from this week's pickings to be taken out to the freezer.

I want to emphasize something: Each bush bean plant may not be productive through the season but sowing a second crop may work just fine for you.

They grow during the heat of the Summer but there is something that is really surprising about them. They can survive near-freezing Fall temperatures And They Just Keep Growing! The same story can be told every year. Miserably cold weather and More Beans! Frost and they are dead.

@ducks4you shared the Farmers' Almanac list of veggie choices to save money. I've also seen them on lists for "Easiest to Grow." They are a snap!!

Steve