What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not particuarly fond of mustard greens. I find them too spicy kind of like a radish
I am really surprised how mild Typhon Holland greens are. They are almost bland to me.

Pinetree Seed company says that they are a cross between Chinese cabbage and turnips. That makes some sense. The plant leaves look like turnip greens but have the mildness of Chinese cabbage.

I'd like to have Chinese cabbage but the only way is to grow it in the hoop house and not take the plastic film off early. That would give me a couple of weeks to have Chinese cabbage and that is too limited for the bother.

We are still eating the kale that was exposed all winter and then covered by the hoop house. The bok choy in there is nearly of good enough size, ready to harvest. Some of the seedlings will be of size to transplant into the open but there is continuing morning frost.

(The electric heater that I have running and temperatures I'm monitoring in there is for the tomato starts I have lined up over the path, not for the kale, bok choy and orach. Those must benefit, however.)

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its probably more of a firm paste, (er that doesnt sound very appetising )as opposed to prunes, which Are just dried plums.
It was very plummy. I think you have to make sure to use plums that have a good acid content, so no greengages.

this sort of thing is called a fruit leather. i tried it once with strawberries but decided i didn't like it enough to do it again.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many do you plan to plant next year? I know you are still experimenting at your new place, I am too, but it took me a few years in Arkansas to figure out how much to plant for most things.
I am liking this abundance. I picked a lot of peas the last couple of days and got a gallon bag of shelled peas to blanch and put in the freezer. I've never had so many peas that I could put any in the freezer. They die so quickly when the heat hits that we always ate them as fast as they were ready.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am liking this abundance. I picked a lot of peas the last couple of days and got a gallon bag of shelled peas to blanch and put in the freezer. I've never had so many peas that I could put any in the freezer. They die so quickly when the heat hits that we always ate them as fast as they were ready.

are they edible as a cooked dried pea? i know the cow peas and some of the pod peas i have are edible, but they are not the best tasting that ways, in a pinch they would be emergency rations...

Latest posts