What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm eating the plum cheese I made for the first time ever this year.
This is plums that have been pulped, stones removed then slowly dehydrated til they set firm and dry. I didnt remove the skins.
I was a little hesitant and left it on the bench where I could keep an eye on it for a few weeks, but nothing grew on it, so had a tiny piece- delish.

that is such an unusual name for dried plums. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you use your mustard green?
Iwash the greens real good, through half a dozen pan washings, to get all the dirt and sand off. I strip the stem out of the center and simmer the leafy greens with some smoked bacon. I like Tabasco or a simple pepper sauce made of hot peppers in vinegar, sprinkled over the greens. Served up with fresh home made cornbread, that is a meal!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Iwash the greens real good, through half a dozen pan washings, to get all the dirt and sand off. I strip the stem out of the center and simmer the leafy greens with some smoked bacon. I like Tabasco or a simple pepper sauce made of hot peppers in vinegar, sprinkled over the greens. Served up with fresh home made cornbread, that is a meal!

I prepare and cook them about the same but I can't remember how long it normally takes for mustard greens to cook, a few minutes. Mustard greens, collards, and turnip greens are slow compared to some greens. When the water starts to boil I stir them down, then I start taking a bit out and testing it as they cook. Carefully pop a bit of hot leaf in your mouth and see how well you can chew it. When you are happy with the texture take it off and drain it to stop it cooking further. It is easy to overcook greens. I usually strain it through a mesh colander and mash it with a fork to get a lot of the water out.

For more formal occasions (don't have many of those) after it is cooked and drained I saute a little chopped onion and garlic (don't overcook it) then add a bit of paprika. Then put the greens in the pan and cook it a bit stirring constantly, mainly to dry it out further and pull it apart so it's a bit not packed tightly together. It's easy to overcook the onions and garlic. it's a bit of a pain but a worthy meal for guests or a special meal. For the old-timers on this forum I got this from Hattie the Hen.

Most of the time after it's cooked and drained I stir in a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Easier and quicker to prepare and fewer dishes to wash.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saute mustard greens in olive oil along with swiss chard and kale. Salt and pepper.

I'm not particuarly fond of mustard greens. I find them too spicy kind of like a radish. So I won't be growing it again although it's so easy to grow year round for me.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saute mustard greens in olive oil along with swiss chard and kale. Salt and pepper.

I'm not particuarly fond of mustard greens. I find them too spicy kind of like a radish. So I won't be growing it again although it's so easy to grow year round for me.

Mary
These are the very best mustard greens I have ever tasted. I now grow them every year. some mustard has a bite to them, but not these. Plus they are beautiful while they are growing.

https://www.rareseeds.com/japanese-giant-red-mustard-greens/

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These are the very best mustard greens I have ever tasted. I now grow them every year. some mustard has a bite to them, but not these. Plus they are beautiful while they are growing.

https://www.rareseeds.com/japanese-giant-red-mustard-greens/

These sound better than the one I have. I find that is too spicy and now just grow it so it flowers from late winter though to late spring for the bees.
They seem to love it along with the Black Radish and turnips that I also put in for them.
I'll have to see if I can find your sort over here.