What are You Eating from the Garden?

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am now slicing a ripe tomato every night for the dinner table, along with throwing peppers in everything. Our favorite variety of tomato this year is the Dark Galaxy i bought on a whim because they were pretty. My mother prefers them even to the Brandywines she loves so much; says the dark galaxies taste like the tomatoes they had when she was a kid. So far they have had the most manageable growth for staking, and I love the colors.

Going to retrieve extra produce from my uncle's garden tonight; he wants to clean it out for winter this week because he is going out of state for a while in September. Will hopefully be canning tomato sauce and green beans the next few evenings.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Corn, one meal, 08-20-19.jpg
More corn, harvested/froze a quart of okra, just starting to come in, and I have frozen 2 quarts of green/purple beans. I intend to only plant purple beans next year bc you can spot them more easily. I have been using the "stick to your shirt" test for the beans, and the old ones go to the chickens. They have to eat, too.
MORE cucumbers. It was really dry last week and most of them turned big and YELLOW, so horse/chicken feed.
When you grow your own corn, you can pick the sizes you want for your meal, including a smaller one, as has been ordered.

Last edited:

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Picked 5# of blackberries today. Gave some to the neighbor.... will freeze the rest and use them in smoothies. Used the last of the previous pick in a blackberry fruit bar this morning I made for some visitors we had stop by. Mmmmm. :)

Made a half gallon jar of refrigerator pickles. More mmmmmmm! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ornamental Amaranth.

Yep. I did some checking. It's both edible and ornamental. I was given the seed but you can find it here: Adaptive Seeds

What I have tried in recent years in quests for summer greens has been tiny plants. Well, these grow to be huge things and the leaves can still be harvested, if you like the strong flavor. Tried again ... harvested the tiny plants and they are tender and mild :).

Probably, the Oeschberg variety - Adaptive also sells those (scroll down). Those don't quite look like the mature plants we first had. Anyway, I'm back to tiny plants - just didn't want them to grow to their full size ;).

They very much remind me of baby beets. Well, I like that :).

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Picked 5# of blackberries today. Gave some to the neighbor.... will freeze the rest and use them in smoothies. Used the last of the previous pick in a blackberry fruit bar this morning I made for some visitors we had stop by. Mmmmm. :)

Made a half gallon jar of refrigerator pickles. More mmmmmmm! :)
I LOVE those BALL 1/2 gallon jars!! Discovered them 2 years ago. When I hot water bath with them, I leave the lid off and monitor to make sure that they are covered with boiling water. I also add about a 1/2 of the time on to be SURE that the seal is complete. Still have 2018 grape juice in one of those.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I LOVE those BALL 1/2 gallon jars!! Discovered them 2 years ago. When I hot water bath with them, I leave the lid off and monitor to make sure that they are covered with boiling water. I also add about a 1/2 of the time on to be SURE that the seal is complete. Still have 2018 grape juice in one of those.
i use them in my pantry to store all kinds of dry goods, too. They're my fav's!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i use them in my pantry to store all kinds of dry goods, too. They're my fav's!

we buy the gallon sized saurkraut jars which are glass and i love those for storing any bulk beans i can grow. :) i don't use them for canning anything but they are nice sturdy glass jars.

Latest posts