What are You Eating from the Garden?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
0D3FE337-7633-4040-A9B6-00D70CA94977.jpeg
All homegrown toppings for chicken tostadas.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gotta think about a Napa Cabbage coleslaw ...

I suppose that is all I will be able to do. Napa cabbage is difficult for me to grow. I can give it a good start under plastic film but have to leave the hoops and plastic on until waaay after everything else should be out in the open. If I pull the plastic off too soon, the Chinese cabbage just explodes ..!

I think it's mostly an arid conditions combined with direct sunlight thing. You have the humidity and more moderate temperatures @AMKuska , that cease to exist here, usually sometime in late June.

I have been harvesting Savoy cabbage ... small this year ... see immoderate conditions reference, above.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are certainly a lot more moist here. The napa cabbage is doing great, they are enormous and filled with vitality. My drago f1s are small in this miserable heat though. That and the deer pillaged my garden recently.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A flavorful beefsteak tomato ...

:D It wasn't beautiful. A bit deformed. Right now, I don't know what variety or, really, how it got there (couldn't see the plant label. No other beefsteaks have ripened. I think it was a Brandywine OTV and I missed pruning off a blossom at planting.

It was just 2 years ago that I began making soup early in the season instead of using the soup making as a way to handle only those tomatoes that came in to ripen after fall frost.

That's not a bad technique but I like MY soup ;). Just because I was impatient, I tried vine-ripened one year ... even better than the fall tomato soup!

I had to add a handful of cherry tomatoes today but BOY was it good!

Steve

Latest posts