What are You Eating from the Garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Arkansas I converted a closet in the utility room (close to the kitchen) to store canned goods and canning supplies. I don't know why I never took a photo. Five shelves maybe 5' long. I also made a lot of jelly and jam to use as Christmas gifts, a dozen per gift. Those were stored in the a closet in the guest bedroom that was hardly ever used. I do have a photo of the jam and jelly. The one on the bottom right was chutney.

Christmas.JPG

Another popular place to store canned goods and canning jars is under a bed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... I do make my own cortido and sauerkraut though. Would love to try kim chi next!
@Dahlia , you just made me aware of another use for cabbage. (I may not try it, however, because the Bon Appétit recipe I found really calls for a lot of salt.) Do you have peppers in your cortido?

I don't know if I can get away with anything hot in my "freezer sauerkraut" recipe. Would like to. If you do a search, you will find me talking about it a month or so ago.

I've made it several times and, believe it or not, I still have cabbage from the 2020 garden. Outer leaves and the stems have had to be cut off several times. There are 5 or 6 heads are being refrigerated, one way or another. (I still remember how the cabbage grew (!) in my basement when I tried that. We really had too much cabbage last year but the real problem was the size of the heads. Much bigger than usual!

Kim Chi?! Oh, I like Kim Chi. DW and I don't eat much of this sort of thing; we do like sauerkraut and Kim Chi in sandwiches. I hope that you will share your experience making it.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Dahlia , you just made me aware of another use for cabbage. (I may not try it, however, because the Bon Appétit recipe I found really calls for a lot of salt.) Do you have peppers in your cortido?

I don't know if I can get away with anything hot in my "freezer sauerkraut" recipe. Would like to. If you do a search, you will find me talking about it a month or so ago.

I've made it several times and, believe it or not, I still have cabbage from the 2020 garden. Outer leaves and the stems have had to be cut off several times. There are 5 or 6 heads are being refrigerated, one way or another. (I still remember how the cabbage grew (!) in my basement when I tried that. We really had too much cabbage last year but the real problem was the size of the heads. Much bigger than usual!

Kim Chi?! Oh, I like Kim Chi. DW and I don't eat much of this sort of thing; we do like sauerkraut and Kim Chi in sandwiches. I hope that you will share your experience making it.

Steve
Wow, I can't believe how long your cabbage is lasting!
So, for my cortido recipe I use cabbage, onions, carrots, garlic cloves, oregano, red pepper flakes, and sea salt. It is SO good! I will share my kim chi experience when I make it later this year!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since our temps go from 38 to 105, the garage isn't the best place for my canned goods. I like that you thought of the same place - inside the house. Its 68 during the day, drops at night and then about 78 in the summer when its over 95 degrees.

Made 6 or so pints of Oregon Blackberry jam. I picked the berries two summers ago. And stored the finished product like Ridgerunner.

Attachments

• IMG_6774.JPG
    IMG_6774.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6792.JPG
    IMG_6792.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 121

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We finished the 2020 potatoes in bowls of chowder, yesterday. (Today, I'm wishing for Shepherd's Pie ;).)

The potatoes were nearly all small and the harvest was light. It's okay that January saw the end of them because the basement storage room can only hold them this long in any year.

I would like to have more productive plants and larger spuds. There may have been two problems last year and it was a big come-down from 2019!

Although potatoes can be dry-farmed, I don't think my garden soil is good for that, besides, there was a drought! The potato bed was probably in a location where the sprinklers couldn't hit them well enough.

Secondly, and since 2019 was such a good year, I managed to get some sprouting spuds through February and March and planted those for seed. I have done this very seldom. I wonder if using those was not a good idea. Frugality is a virtue but ...

Steve
with plenty of winter squash to finish, even if those can't go in Shepherd's Pie

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We finished the 2020 potatoes in bowls of chowder, yesterday. (Today, I'm wishing for Shepherd's Pie ;).)

The potatoes were nearly all small and the harvest was light. It's okay that January saw the end of them because the basement storage room can only hold them this long in any year.

I would like to have more productive plants and larger spuds. There may have been two problems last year and it was a big come-down from 2019!

Although potatoes can be dry-farmed, I don't think my garden soil is good for that, besides, there was a drought! The potato bed was probably in a location where the sprinklers couldn't hit them well enough.

Secondly, and since 2019 was such a good year, I managed to get some sprouting spuds through February and March and planted those for seed. I have done this very seldom. I wonder if using those was not a good idea. Frugality is a virtue but ...

Steve
with plenty of winter squash to finish, even if those can't go in Shepherd's Pie
I planted a bunch of sprouting spuds in some really crappy soil a few years back because there was no space for them in my "good soil" area. They took over the whole area and they were medium sized potatoes when I harvested them! They were red potatoes and Yukon Golds.