What are You Eating from the Garden?

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The sweet corn and plum jam sounds amazing! Was it corn on the cob or bottled sweet corn? The kim chi radish sounds wonderful too! I always buy kim chi at Trader Joe's. I do make my own cortido and sauerkraut though. Would love to try kim chi next!
Fresh from the garden. I like to steam the cobs rather than boil them, but on the BBQ they taste fab grilled in their 'jackets'.
When I got home, I found 3 huge marrows and the cucumber had 6 enormous fruit...cos I had forgetten to take them up with me.

I had a go at making some lacto fermented cucumber chunks with the smaller, less yellowed ones. The one with the most yellow is being kept for seed and the other is still in the fridge slowly being devoured. In spite of its size and thick skin, its surprisingly sweet.

I'm leaving the marrows on the plants to fully mature so they will store. The plant is still producing smaller ones.

First lot of tomatoes got harvested the other day. Mostly San Marzano's but a few beefsteaks. Not really enough to make into sauces or passata, so I am having them in salads.

Mint, parsley and coriander....had a go at making a lacto-ferment paste yesterday. The coriander was flowering so I decided to harvest as many of the leaves as I could to try this. Its amazing how 4 cups of herbs can shrink down to almost nothing. We'll see in a few days how it turns out. I got these recipes from a library book. I like this book, so I have bought one from my fav on line book store- small town, no bookshop.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not exactly from the garden, but I've been picking chickweed and making salads from it. I crumble up dehydrated tomatoes over the chickweed and it is good.

Chickweed is even good for you.

1612531609870.png

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So you want proof that the old adage "you are what you eat" has real weight, or that a good earthy diet is healthy for you?

Here you go:

And another one.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fascinating... but the first article wasn't about eating, but about a rather disgusting process on the other end. :sick There have been other studies which demonstrated the potentially positive health effects of "fecal transplants". Who knows, someday "up yours" may turn out to be a helpful suggestion? :idunno

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Fascinating... but the first article wasn't about eating, but about a rather disgusting process on the other end. :sick There have been other studies which demonstrated the potentially positive health effects of "fecal transplants". Who knows, someday "up yours" may turn out to be a helpful suggestion? :idunno
While I have become interested in phytohormones and how they effect the growth of what I eat, evidently it is part of my journey to follow my muse from the earth to the mouth and the bottom end, thus completing the cycle. I suppose that requires balance, which I admire and always seem to be chasing.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not exactly from the garden, but I've been picking chickweed and making salads from it. I crumble up dehydrated tomatoes over the chickweed and it is good.

Chickweed is even good for you.

View attachment 38977
Try chickweed on a sandwich or a burger in place of lettuce sometime. When it is young and tender it is amazing!!! To think I used to throw it in the trash! (I didn't know you could eat it!)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our stored foods from last seasons garden are running critically low right now. We are down to a couple bags of green beans, two quarts of maters and maybe a couple frozen bags, I gallon bag of shredded zucchini, and a couple of winter squash. We will be completely out by the end of the month or maybe a little more. Next season is coming hope the growing conditions are a little better during the early season than they have been the last couple.

Latest posts