What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doyle Blackberries: I have a little story about them.

A neighbor to my garden planted some about 20 years ago. Nice trellis for them with a few raspberries. I lived in Oregon and NorCal and was skeptical about how well the blackberries would do here.

Beautiful big canes, healthy and very productive - they had great success. A problem arose.

The raspberries slowly squeezed them out! The gardener neighbor's son had moved in and everything was neglected. Every year, the blackberries had big, beautiful canes. Every year, there were fewer of them.

The puny raspberry plants pushed into the middle of the trellis and the blackberries were separated, dying there first and then at each end of about a 20' trellis. It took years ... with me standing a few feet away observing. I finally decided that it was winter along with the persistent raspberries. Apparently, they were a little better adapted. Raspberries spread here. The blackberries always looked healthy and had nice berries but the combination of pressures worked against them.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great question/answer. Blackberries (thorned) I had were on bitter side.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i like things tart so would not mind if they were. love blackberry jam. :)

picked some onions and green peppers this morning for chili and baked spaghetti and will be picking beans this afternoon.

cucumbers and tomatoes were somewhat gone through yesterday but i hope i can put some tomatoes up this weekend.

cucumbers got turned into 12 pints of bread and butter pickles and the rest were turned into creamy cucumber salad or given away whole. most peppers were also picked the other day and given away. the peppers were not labelled correctly at the greenhouse and so they're not what i wanted to grow or eat, but other people want them so i won't pull the plants.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I had a picture of blackberries, but guess not. Eating tomatoes, but not real big, but they taste good.
006.JPG
022.JPG
016.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the 2nd year for my Doyle's thornless blackberries. I just picked 4.8 lbs. in my first picking of ripe berries. It looked too good to be true when I saw the ad for it. I have just 2 plants that are now huge. I have a ton more berries coming. Best blackberries I have ever grown.View attachment 32786
blackberry sauce.jpg

Blackberry sauce for pancakes, crepes, and vanilla ice cream.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 32816
Blackberry sauce for pancakes, crepes, and vanilla ice cream.

When I have jelly that doesn't set up it becomes syrup for pancakes, waffles, or other things. Sounds like you did that on purpose. I have enough accidents I don't have to plan syrup.

Latest posts