What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ornamental Amaranth... the tiny plants and they are tender and mild :). Probably the Oeschberg variety

IMG_20190829_174049.jpg

those are coriander seeds and flowers on a cilantro plant in the background.

The original amaranth plants scattered seed like crazy before being taken out. We wanted saved seed but hadn't tried any of the early plants until these began to show up. Will harvest more in a week or so.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the table, tomorrow.

IMG_20190906_190150.jpg
The amaranth harvest came right back after the plants self-sowed. That seems to be the way it can be a "summer 'green'". It's not a biennial like chard, growing thru the summer. Instead, the spring plants grow and set seeds. The Amaranth seeds sprout and plants grow even in hot, summer weather.

@Rhodie Ranch might want to try her amaranth (POW winner) seed as a summer green :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
swiss chard (we call it silverbeet).

I trimmed off all the chard leaves about 3 weeks ago. It seemed to me that the plants had sat there through much of the heat of our summer without new growth. What has regrow if the most tender leaves imaginable!

Trish, it does seem odd to me to call the chard variety that I grow, Swiss. It's Verde da Taglio. That's "cutting greens" in Italian. I know that there are Italian speakers in Switzerland but imagine that this vegetable has quite a range.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm only eating boring things like spinach, mizuna, swiss chard (we call it silverbeet). spring onions, turnip greens and herbs. I found a jar of pickled beetroot in the back of the cupboard from last summer,so that will be for tomorrow nights dinner.

they call the red kind silverbeet? i thought that was only the green kind they called silverbeet? :) pickled beets used to be a staple here, but we ate so many of them that we got "fed up" with them... so we're taking a break.

Latest posts