What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like something a froe would come in handy for. :)
Had to look it up... that might be overkill.:lol:

I'm thinking about trying to peel them with a cheese grater, or a wood rasp. The reason for peeling is to make dehydrated squash chips. I experimented with that a couple years ago; cooked in the rice cooker, those dehydrated chips became nearly as good as fresh baked. It is a good method of stretching storage life, other than baking, scooping, & freezing (which I will also do). DIL even liked to eat the chips as snacks, they are a little too hard for my taste. Frying might soften them, could be another experiment to try this winter...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don’t know IF it will work for you, nuke the squash for a minute (judge by yourself the time as they all vary), then peel. Much easier.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last of the vine ripened tomatoes in a nice summer soup.

~ sniff ~

If you like homemade tomato soup, don't wait until there are only the countertop ripened ones to choose from, like I used to do. Okay. The first week, it's hard to taste much difference. Later, they are more and more like the soopermarket tomatoes. Takes some serious doctoring-up after a couple of weeks!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to look it up... that might be overkill.

Yeah, probably if you had to buy one for just that purpose.
We use it for splitting kindling, and it's a chore I like to do.
There's something therapeutic for me in splitting logs with a maul or smaller stuff with a froe. I've not tried winter squash, but imagine it would suit me, haha.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The La Madera squash @Hal recommended that I try had skin like porcelain. It would ~ shatter ~ when I cut into it.

That squash was absolutely mature for me. It didn't have very thick flesh but was very sweet and flavorful.

That first season, it crossed with something that could have been any one of 3 varieties that year: Buttercup, Kabocha, and Sweet Meat. The saved seed offspring were fine but variable, one plant from the other. We didn't have @flowerbug around TEG then to talk me into a landrace. Now, Native Seed Search has not had La Medera seed for a couple of years.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
with several hard frosts i was surprised that today Mom was able to pick half a bucket of green peppers. she's going to be cooking them up soon in some chili.

yesterday she made spaghetti sauce with garlic and onions and tomatoes. today she made the meatballs so the whole house has been smelling really good all day as those simmered.

i'm almost done with the lima bean shellies i cooked up earlier this week. :( :( :( they've been so good i wish i had more to pick, but they're all harvested.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious as to what the Deep South/Southern Hemisphere gardeners are eating 🤔 . Yesterday, I baked a big batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.

A recipe better not look too difficult or I ain't gonna try it but this pumpkin cookie recipe was complex - 14 ingredients! It's from the Food Network: link. 15 ! Because I added a teaspoon of instant coffee ;).

I knew that I had to jazz it up because, I was using one of those Jack o'lantern pumpkins and cookie flavor would suffer if'n I didn't.

I will continue to use the remaining 2 pumpkins that weren't required for scaring trick-or-treaters. Hopefully, used over about the next 12 weeks.

There are still 4 winter squash down on basement shelves. Still, I'll turn some of the pumpkin into the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Bread that I bake every year. Once again, there will be some ingredient complexity to the flavors and will be okay, even if a Buttercup would have been a better choice.

Steve

Latest posts