What are You Eating from the Garden?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
if you've been cooking them you should know what goes in there... ;)

This is what happens when I get bored with the same old same old. Its amazing how much fried this and that is also sold as vegetarian. I actually fried some chickpeas dusted in flour with a schwarma spice. The recipe said cover the pan with a lid as the chickpeas occasionally pop. I found out that may have been the understatement of the year. Violent cooking exists. It was not as much drama as having a turkey fryer boil over and catch fire, but was still more thrill than I wanted to deal with at the end of the day.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think I could figure out Kale if it was dry shredded, dropped into a hot frying pan with a healthy surface of hot vegetable oil and spiced up with some kosher salt and black pepper.
ANY food that needs to highly seasoned is questionable to me. I love mescalin lettuce, spinach, lima beans, fried okra (bc okra tastes great fried JUST in olive oil), broccoli, Brussels Sprouts (TOTALLY YUMM!!!!!) These are just a few vegetables That I eat without seasoning.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that Scotch kale isn't my favorite veggie. It may have to do with having it as a kid. @seedcorn complains about the leaves being cardboard. Imagine if your age is in the single digitS' and you're losing baby teeth for new ones 🤨 .

The dislike for the heavy stems of chard is probably for the same reason. It was a pleasant discovery for this baby beet aficionado to learn that all the chard varieties aren't like that. Popular demand is what it is, however. "Demand" - I'm becoming accustom to thinking of the US as having a "demand" economy. My tastes are rather spartan, maybe even, primitive. Nonetheless, if'n I can grow it - it's mine to enjoy 🤠!

And currently, I have 4 different varieties of kale in the garden, plus collards. So, Italian, Siberian, Portuguese and Scotch. Honestly, I like the Siberian best (if'n the aphids leave it alone) but it isn't even closely related to the others 😉 .

I put a sprig of dill in my shirt pocket when I was out in the garden yesterday and left with this craving for dill-flavored potato chips. Dang. I don't want to go search for those at the soopermarket! What would do it - make potato chips with the air fryer? That should work - right?

I've thought that kale chips were pretty much okay ~ except ~ they are too salty for my taste. Also, kinda strange that they are so thin. I could cram about 10 of them in my mouth at a time ... no, too much salt.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never heard peppers and onions. Gotta go there this season.

roasted peppers of any kind are super delicious. it really sweetens up red and green peppers but i like how it also works for the others too, just a bit of black on them. i think i have charcoal in my blood. my Dad is the same way, he likes things burnt. the two most common flavors in grilling in my family when i was young was char and beer. Dad would cook things on the grill standing over it with the beer and put out the fires with the beer. so pretty much everything tasted of beer. he also eats burnt toast. i'm not that extreme on purpose but i do like it rather dark.

um, ok, today i picked some strawberries (not all of them, i'll finish that tomorrow) so we can have some tonight with dinner again. Mom decided to refinish the counter tops today so i could not use them for cleaning strawberries or much of anything else. why she picked the day when i told her i needed to pick strawberries and put up some jam i dunno... lol... just how it rolls here sometimes. :) good thing they can wait a day as my back is tired anyways. tomorrow i can do a few rounds of picking and get the berry patch gone through.

2nd picking is always better than the first... berries are sweeter because i have more patience to leave them on the plants. the first picking is like "OMG there's strawberries must have some!"

Latest posts