What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20201006_193203.jpg
DW's dehydrated tomato slices
This is just the most recent. There's a bag of them already in a kitchen cabinet :).​

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 37210
DW's dehydrated tomato slices
This is just the most recent. There's a bag of them already in a kitchen cabinet :).​

what's not to love about those? :) have you used them on pizzas?

i did not really have a chance to talk to Grandma about her childhood in Italy and if they dried them up on the roof - i wonder if they did...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. I chewed on one or 2. Was surprised how they taste of salt and sugar. I suspect that most of the salt is potassium and that's all that's left of them - the minerals. Oh, okay. There was tomato flavor ;).

Using them in cooking? I wondered about that. Pizza -- I have only had "homemade" pizza made with a store-bought crust. That used to be quite common for us when I was a single dad. I could load it up but I didn't trust myself to make the crust.

(I asked DW if she thought that putting them in the blender and then boiling in a little broth would make a good pasta sauce. She just rolled her eyes ...)

Steve
who years and years ago had a huge amount of green beans and decided to try drying them on the woodshed roof . lost the entire roof-load to "changes."

Every time I thought I'd got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(Turn and face the strange)
Ch-ch-changes
Don't want to be a richer one
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(Turn and face the strange)
Ch-ch-changes
Just gonna have to be a different one
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. I chewed on one or 2. Was surprised how they taste of salt and sugar. I suspect that most of the salt is potassium and that's all that's left of them - the minerals. Oh, okay. There was tomato flavor ;).

Using them in cooking? I wondered about that. Pizza -- I have only had "homemade" pizza made with a store-bought crust. That used to be quite common for us when I was a single dad. I could load it up but I didn't trust myself to make the crust.

(I asked DW if she thought that putting them in the blender and then boiling in a little broth would make a good pasta sauce. She just rolled her eyes ...)

Steve
who years and years ago had a huge amount of green beans and decided to try drying them on the woodshed roof . lost the entire roof-load to "changes."

i can't blame her for that... :)

nah, we would put the sauce on the dough and then use the dried tomatoes on top of that so they would soak up some of the juice from the sauce and any of the veggies like onions and mushrooms that can sometimes give off more juice and they'd soften a bit as it baked. if they were a bit chewy i never minded.

i.e. used them as a thickener not added to something to just make a sauce. added to tomato juice it would at least thicken that up, but really for the price a can of elcheapo tomato paste is a much better deal by volume/cost, but that may just be my preferences speaking... haha...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be having a vegetable on my morning coffee break.

Pumpkin Pie! The rhubarb was finished a week ago - even the one that was frozen is gone and so it ends, the rhubarb season. The plants aren't in an easy location for me to run a sprinkler on them and I began to neglect them during our "smoke out," a month ago. It was probably too late for any tender stalks. So late in the year with all the warmth and sun!

The pumpkin pie was made with the little pie pumpkins. I had already eaten 1 1/2 out of the microwave, with butter and brown sugar. Mild compared to the Buttercup that we have also been sampling, really, for about 6 weeks.

DW was suspicious of these pie pumpkins. They are new to both of us but she wasn't delighted with my Jack o'lantern experiments in recent years. It was a surprise when she sampled this new variety in a pie and gave it 2 thumbs up!

Cinnamon Girl really tastes as one should expect. It even smells right but a Jack o'lantern kinda does, too. Yes, "stinks," as @baymule and her granddaughters noticed during their Pink Banana adventure. Funny, that I had never really thought about that.

Yes, tho they are botanically a fruit, just think of pie pumpkins and winter squash as vegetables like turnips or something until you can get them seasoned and sweetened up a little and baked.

A fruit!? Uh oh, I gave myself away! Weeell, you'd never turn a turnip into a pie!

;) Steve
who should turn the last of the broccoli into a quiche, eh?

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday, I finally made some home made pasta-wide ribbon and made a Ragu from bought passata, my baby leeks, carrots celery, parsley and some of my dried NZ Oyster mushrooms. Delish.

I spotted some Avocadoes in the tree that I managed to pull off with an extension pole thingy that has a nifty basket with metal 'claws'.
One of the fruit was already quiet soft so that was also part of lunch.

Loose leaf lettuces are still tasty, although they are now starting to stretch, which is okay, cos I need some fresh seed- Drunken woman lettuce.
Red Cardinal Chard, is also starting to bolt, so thats all getting harvested-was supposed to be today, but its hammering down at the moment. I'm going steam it all, chop it up, squish all the water out and freeze it. Some is going to make some Ravioli with the feta cheese thats in the fridge.
Its a cold wet miserable day, so I think I'll have another pasta lunch...cant wait to get chickens again, so I can use my own eggs, they taste so much better.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'll be having a vegetable on my morning coffee break.

Pumpkin Pie! The rhubarb was finished a week ago - even the one that was frozen is gone and so it ends, the rhubarb season. The plants aren't in an easy location for me to run a sprinkler on them and I began to neglect them during our "smoke out," a month ago. It was probably too late for any tender stalks. So late in the year with all the warmth and sun!

The pumpkin pie was made with the little pie pumpkins. I had already eaten 1 1/2 out of the microwave, with butter and brown sugar. Mild compared to the Buttercup that we have also been sampling, really, for about 6 weeks.

DW was suspicious of these pie pumpkins. They are new to both of us but she wasn't delighted with my Jack o'lantern experiments in recent years. It was a surprise when she sampled this new variety in a pie and gave it 2 thumbs up!

Cinnamon Girl really tastes as one should expect. It even smells right but a Jack o'lantern kinda does, too. Yes, "stinks," as @baymule and her granddaughters noticed during their Pink Banana adventure. Funny, that I had never really thought about that.

Yes, tho they are botanically a fruit, just think of pie pumpkins and winter squash as vegetables like turnips or something until you can get them seasoned and sweetened up a little and baked.

A fruit!? Uh oh, I gave myself away! Weeell, you'd never turn a turnip into a pie!

;) Steve
who should turn the last of the broccoli into a quiche, eh?
Give me turnip advice, pls. I threw cheapo seeds in Late, and they ALL sprouted. I even didn't cover some of them during the last freeze and they DIDN'T care!
I will have lot of turnip greens and plenty of little turnips. Thanks! :love

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Give me turnip advice, pls. I threw cheapo seeds in Late, and they ALL sprouted. I even didn't cover some of them during the last freeze and they DIDN'T care!
I will have lot of turnip greens and plenty of little turnips. Thanks! :love

What kind of advice are you looking for? Sound like you are doing OK.

Do you know what variety those seeds were? Some varieties make turnips and greens. Some just make greens.

Latest posts