What are You Eating from the Garden?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That sounds like a very sound investment in your neck of the woods... and not even a bad idea up here. My sister at one time owned a home where the front room of the basement was built to double as a storm shelter, with a concrete ceiling & brick walls closing it off from the rest of the basement. That concrete ceiling formed the floor of a porch directly above it. Clever construction IMO, something I would include in the plan if I were building a new home.
Luckily our next door neighbor built one that we share right now. But we’ve certainly had some calls that were far to close for comfort in the past 5 years. 3 have hit within 10 miles

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today a good friend brought me some baby carrots and this little cabbage that she grew in her greenhouse!
I gobbled down the carrots before I remembered to snap a picture! Lol
The carrots were the sweetest I've ever tasted! I'm planning to use the cabbage tonight in an Asian chicken quinoa salad!

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_124713790_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20210124_124713790_640x480.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 138

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may be doing something similar. My basement follows the upstairs profile - including two additions. One of those basement rooms is about 8' X 12', and has both a door & an outside window. It also has a vent from the HVAC which could be used for ventilation. I've long been considering converting that to a cold room, to use for seed storage. The room is dry; but for seed storage, and because there is living space above it, the project would require vapor barrier & drywall on all sides. It would also need some additional work to make it rodent-proof. Since that room is large enough to double as a walk-in cold pantry, maybe it's time to quit "thinking" and start "doing". (where's that 'kicking myself in butt' emoji)

just remember the safety aspects of it too! don't want you to become a Popsicle.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Luckily our next door neighbor built one that we share right now. But we’ve certainly had some calls that were far to close for comfort in the past 5 years. 3 have hit within 10 miles

we've had a close hit here (small tornado came through and damaged houses around us and missed us by a few hundred feet). at the time it was a strong storm but i didn't really think it was going to be that bad. after the worst of it was passed i looked out the window and noticed the neighbor's garage was missing - then the power went out. the crawl space is not quickly accessible enough to be used as a storm cellar, but the central core of the house is very strong here and the small bathroom next to that core could be used as a safe room if we wrapped in a blanket.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last sunday, I had to go up to Auckland to babysit my grandson.
I took a big bag of sweetcorn and another of Hawera (Black Doris seedling) plums.

We had a 'corn fest'...yum and with the plums I made them a few jars of jam.
I did take up some of my kim chi radish and some of my preserved lemons, but I'm not too sure they liked them. I'll find out in a few days and if they didnt, i'll get my daughter to bring them back to me when she comes down on the 20th.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
avocadoseason1.jpg

They're not exactly from the garden since the avocado tree is by the workshop, but it's been windy and they're dropping everywhere. Some of them are up to two pounds and they make a really loud noise when they hit the workshop roof. Really creamy and tasty, even though they try to fall on our head.

From the garden is Good Mother Stallard beans, Crisp Mint Romaine lettuce and some mulberries from the tree that is actually growing in one of the raised bed gardens. I'd put a cutting there to sprout and it got too big to transplant before I got around to it again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweet corn in New Zealand

Avocados in Hawaii

Sigh. I see Auckland and think of the guy in a California airport. Hears the public address and boards a plane thinking that he is going to Oakland. ..... Realized the error of his ways when he was seeing nothing but Pacific Ocean water from his window seat.

:) Steve
wondering if @Trish Stretton has to take a ferry on her trip north

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last sunday, I had to go up to Auckland to babysit my grandson.
I took a big bag of sweetcorn and another of Hawera (Black Doris seedling) plums.

We had a 'corn fest'...yum and with the plums I made them a few jars of jam.
I did take up some of my kim chi radish and some of my preserved lemons, but I'm not too sure they liked them. I'll find out in a few days and if they didnt, i'll get my daughter to bring them back to me when she comes down on the 20th.
The sweet corn and plum jam sounds amazing! Was it corn on the cob or bottled sweet corn? The kim chi radish sounds wonderful too! I always buy kim chi at Trader Joe's. I do make my own cortido and sauerkraut though. Would love to try kim chi next!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
SO and I were just talking about where I'm keeping my newly canned goods (homemade spag sauce, BBQ sauce, baked beans, chicken raw pack). I said I sure wish we had a basement, but they don't do that anymore out here. We do have a crawl space which we can access from the Master Bedroom closet, but all the flooring insulation has to be moved each time. So my fresh stuff went into the spare bedroom empty chest of drawers.

Latest posts