What are You Eating from the Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't be too jelly. The corn won't grow even 4 ft high, and the ears are on the medium to small size. I bought this "early corn" from Burpee, and I am truly disappointed. Tastes good.
FORTUNATELY I still have time to plant more sweet corn, and I Will have it in the ground before the weekend.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A jewelry box :D

They did taste differently when you pick them directly from the plants.
5662.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aren't those pretty things a girl's best friend, @Phaedra Geiermann ? An idiom :D ...

Here I was thinking of posting a picture of homely kohlrabi. ;).

I will say this. DW likes them.

Steve
cabbage rolls today, early broccoli soon

Edit: Oh and @ducks4you , I once grew Polarvee and Earlivee sweet corn. Not all that unhappy to give them up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had the first tomato.

It was sliced and in a turkey sandwich as I ran errands this morning. DW had found it in the garden, as I continue to watch the nice-size, unripe tomato at the far end. It sure looked like it would be first and I didn't even know about this other - about the size of a tennis ball. Okay, it was a little smaller and oddly shaped. But, the skin was perfect, without a blemish and the flavor was just super 🍅! (DW made the sandwich for my 2nd breakfast :),)

Where the early cherries are, I don't know. Fairly much everything was slowed while in the greenhouse by our very cloudy Spring and plants went out into the open garden just about 2 weeks later than normal. It looks like the tomatoes are doing well and came back strong from the flea beetle attack. Should be a good August for them.

Steve

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My beans are almost all done. My FIL has been shelling the purple pole beans for like 2 weeks (we had two 107ft rows). We will probably have six gallon size bags of shelled beans after its all done.
We are also in tomato overwhelm right now. I've made lots of salsa and pasta sauce and will continue to make those until tomatoes are done. I have lots of tomato sauce from last year so I don't need more. I might try tomato paste tho.

We harvested one cantaloupe and tho it wasn't completely ripe, it was delicious!

Latest posts