What are You Eating from the Garden?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Phaedra Geiermann ,

How about the other kabocha? What variety is that one?

As you make use of them in the kitchen, please let us know about flavor.

Steve
PS, we finally have a couple of zucchini from the garden.
Hi Steve, the other one - I forget the name, but it is the earlier version of "Zuccuri (which is released much later)" from TOKITA, a Japanese seed company. It needs post-ripening and curing for the best flavor. And yes, I used it a lot in autumn - roasted, pie, steam buns, and etc. Kabocha offers rich and dense sweetness and flavor. :D

1660050703228.png

Green Kuri and Green Hokkaido are the more common varieties here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could it be "Naguri," @Phaedra Geiermann ?

John Scheepers has both Naguri and Zuccuri.

By earlier version you are probably meaning an earlier variety release but Scheepers has Zuccuri as a 110 day and Naguri as an 80-100 days. Reimer's has it at 81 days to maturity kabocha. Early! I'd better stay away from a 110 day despite all this current heat and a "theoretically" longer than that growing season ;).

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits , my first sowing of green beans resulted in puny plants. The cool June must not have been to their liking.

The second sowing produced big, robust plants!. The pods are just about ready for harvest.

The third sowing (all the same packet of Jade) resulted in ... almost nothing. I don't think 50% emerged out from under the gravel I refer to as my "garden soil." That was during our 103-5 degree weather. Baked Beans underground. However, I told DW that it looked like pole bean spacing, measured and not random. Once again, there are lots more Asian green seedlings than room for them here at home so 2022 could be the year to see if they can grow well early, mid or late season in the big veggie garden (& with bean companions ;)). They were flea beetle victims, early. Burned up, mid. Next!

@ducks4you mentioned an appreciation for purple beans. Me too! DW wants smooth and tender - nothing else :(. I tried purple Velour in 2021. Neither she nor I cared 2 hoots for the skinny, little things! Johnny's has an Amethyst. They describe it as "fanciest" and "good flavor raw or cooked." That sure sounds like a purple, smooth and tender :).

Steve
I used to grow bush beans and Jade was my favorite, but I have just been doing pole beans lately. I planted Cobra and I think next year I will still plant Cobra but also a couple of other varieties. I used to have purple and also Rattlesnake. I really think it was the cold. I worked hard to get them in early because it seemed like it was going to be warm. LOL I am also wondering if the beans are too close to the walnut trees in the yard. The ground is all the same but the ends of the row closer to the walnut tree are short and barely grew. Same happened last year, but I thought I did not get enough fertilizer there or the sprinkler was not hitting that area enough, but I put lots of fertilizer and I make sure the sprinkler is hitting the end of the row.

Asian green seedlings?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled some onions and cut up some peppers to fry and put on our hamburgers. I did not have any tomatoes but I have a couple now and DS and I are going to have BLTs Saturday which is his birthday and he will be 23. We will all get together for cake and ice cream if DD is not having a baby. I hope she has him tomorrow. She said she gives up and thinks she will be pregnant forever. LOL Evelyn will be 4 on Monday and they are planning to have her birthday Sunday, but I have a feeling all the birthdays are going to be messed up. Next year will be crazy. If she has on 12th then it will be Wesley and on the 13th DS and 15th Evelyn or could be born on 14th and be crazy birthdays 3 days in a row. Here is a picture of DD yesterday and she said on her Facebook post - Happy second due date to us! Last week the birthing place told her she was 41 weeks, but there is a question if that is right and so yesterday was 40 weeks, so she has had 2 due dates and no baby yet. LOL People commenting that she is faking and has a beach ball under her shirt. LOL
Aug. 10 40 weeks.jpg
She is doing great though. I think the healthiest she has been in a long time. She is drinking red raspberry leaf tea and I saw where it has iron, vitamin C, E, A, potassium. I think I want some!

Latest posts