What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted my Peas today, a good lot of them.

2 kinds of Golden Podded; Golden Sweet normal good selections for years, and one of my own special selections of it that is much more uniform, has sweeter smelling flowers, and bigger seeds.

2 kinds of Blauschokker that I separated and selected for years. One makes more uniformly larger and more red soup pea seeds, the other makes more wrinkled seeds. I'm working on making it a shelling Pea.

Alaska Peas, Pioneer Peas, Sugar Snap II, and Melting Sugar.

Also got my thornless Blackberry planted next to the super thorny wild Dewberry. These will be growing up a pole. I think that next winter that whole row I will plant with bramble berries!

9018_100_3188.jpg

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This year I am finally defining my back yard, so there is a designated spot for veggies, and such...although there is a wee bit of overlap with the intended flower gardens. My raspberries are leafing out, blackberries are starting to, the fruit trees are already budding (please, no hard frosts!) I put the peas in a week ago, the spinach and head lettuce and radishes are already sprouting, the maters, chills and some flower seedlings are enjoying some outside time in the pretend greenhouse, and I just put in a climbing rose and 4 currant bushes. I am SO stoked about this years garden! Oh, and I am not sure but I THINK the spring wheat is coming up in my "chicken corral"...at least SOMETHING is coming up out there! Now if I can keep the cow traffic down to a minimum...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
After the Peas and the Berries I planted HULLESS OATS, so far 2 patches of them.

Today I planted a lot. Just by memory,

ROSE BOLITAS BEANS
SANGRE DE TORO BEANS
BLACK ALUBIAS DE TORELLOS BEANS
LARGE CHOCOLATE PAIUTE TEPARY BEANS
ORANGE SPECKLED PAIUTE TEPARY BEANS
BURGUNDY BOLITAS BEANS
BLACK TURTLE BEANS

GASPE FLINT CORN thanks to thistlebloom!!!
JAPONICA STRIPED MAIZE CORN

RED SALAD LEAF LETTUCE
FRECKLES LETTUCE

AUTUMN BEAUTY SUNFLOWER
ENDURANCE SUNFLOWER
MEDIUM SUNFLOWER
OILSEED SUNFLOWER
SNACKSEED SUNFLOWER

LEMON BASIL
SIAM QUEEN THAI BASIL

CILANTRO

MIXED FENNEL

COLORADO QUINOA

GOLDEN GIANT AMARANTH

RED POTATOES
BLUE POTATOES

I have a lot more to plant, and space is limited, so a little of each, raise the beds to the light, garden intensely, use the plastic to reflect light, plant as soon as possible when the sun rises straight across the lake, taking out a Madrone.

My garden is sort of viewed semi publically, and I have 3 goals with it.

1) Beauty
2) Production
3) Enjoyment

But I have other goals with it.
1) If the economy goes caput completely, I'm ready, almost.
2) It is an experience in sustainability.
3) Great exercise

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm shoveling compost today to build melon beds. I have them above ground to break new garden ground where we are expanding into a newly cleared area adjacent to our garden in the woods.

My greenhouse is filled with tomato, pepper, and various melons and squash, waiting for signs of the last frost. It was 33.9 degrees here last night!

But we enjoyed our own lettuce tonight with thinnings from the beets. We've had our own kale and chard, some of it hangovers from last winter. Coles are going wild -- cabbage, brussels sprouts, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, brocoli. Peas are beginning to flower and onions and potatoes are well on their way, including the onions and leeks I started from seed this year. Life is good!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds awesome, Teka!

I think I'll be putting in a few seeds tomorrow in places that nothing came up. Some of the seeds I used were from a friend, some as old as 2006, and not sure how she stored them. But not to worry .... I've got NEW seeds to go in their place. :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Similar thing here Miss Daisy. Some of my seeds were even older. My Fennel seeds are a mix of 2004 and 2006, my Endurance and Medium Sunflower seeds are from 2005

I still have so much more to plant I'm going to have to extend my last two beds.

I still have the Italian Flat Green Pole Bean seeds to plant, my assortment of unusual off types and reverses, my Hidatsa Dark Shield, my Eye of the Tiger Dark, and Eye of the Tiger Plain, some Hot Peppers by request of a friend, and at least a dozen other things, such as my Lettuce mix with Mascara Red, and the huge Lolla Rossa and Marviglio...

I definitely need to make a second garden somewhere near here!

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Inside--melons, cucumbers and squashes

Outside--transplanting cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower plants and planting beet, carrots, peas, radish, lettuce, spinach, dill, & parsley seeds. Also, my onion sets and the second half of my strawberry plants arrived yesterday.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to start work on another bed today. Maybe I'll even use Madrone logs...

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Today I planted Jerusalem Artichokes, ginger, horseradish, peppermint, spearmint, yarrow, and garlic chives. The herbs were from the homesteading class I took over the weekend, thistlebloom sent me the JA, and my hubby bought me the ginger. I also started 24 Cherokee Purple tomato seeds in a corner of the herb bed to be transplanted out into the garden when they come up.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Replanted cantaloupe seeds that didn't come up, and also put in some spaghetti squash seeds, too.
Also replanted a row of kale that the rollie pollies so rudely ate as young seedlings. :/

Latest posts