What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peas went out today (much more time and they'd have overgrown the indoor pots; I'd forgotten how quick peas grow)

Could barely fit them all in the bigger pot on the patio. Despite how old I suspect the Ago's were when I got them, they germinated rather better than I expected. On the other hand, given the kind of damage the animals are likely to do, extra is probably a good thing; it increases the chances of a few making it to adulthood. Looks like I have to go and get some more (not that I would not have had to do that anyway, we have a LOT of pansy ground to cover) Maybe I can get back to that place I was at last week; they had some crimson violas that might look nice en masse (assuming I can move enough six packs around to make a purchaseable flat that has more than ONE crimson sitting in a sea of yellows, purples, and whites.

Damn and blast me for wasting (via planting without knowing what I was doing) the seed for that yellow viola with the purple polka dots I found four years ago!!

Oh and the crocuses are beginning to come up now. Rather sparse at the moment, dad must have forgotten to put fresh bulbs in. To make things worse, most of our crocuses are (and always have been) part if the front lawn (it used to be a pretty common thing to do back in the 20's and 30's when the house was built) so their lifetime is limited to the time before the gardeners decide to start mowing (that could be why they keep getting sparser, they probably never get a chance to really lay down enough food to power the bulb through the next year)

I guess the next vegetable will be the barley (also a cool weather planting) then the beans, I guess. For anyone singing in their head, I can't do oats this year; the only oats I have are the Avena fatua from a few years ago, and using them would be pointless (when I said I wanted to sow my wild oats, I did not mean it literally!)

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I cut up plastic containers bound for the recycle bin and a sharpie to mark the thousands of seedlings I start each year. I find the custom plastic labels too expensive in the quantities I need. But they get blown around once the plants are planted. Last year I started using maybe what you @TReeves are calling really big craft sticks--I bought a box of 500 'paint sticks' for stirring paint which are sometimes used to make the handles for fans at weddings these days, which I suppose is a craft use. I used a grease pencil, but even that faded or washed off to the point of being almost illegible! This year I am using industrial strength sharpies on those. I'm very near-sighted even with progressive lenses and I like being able to see the tags without having to crawl on all four.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerweaver, cut up milk cartons and a sharpie were what I used last year on my tomato seedlings. Out in the sun, hardening off, it took no time for the tags to fade out. I had about 10 different varieties mixed up. I just had to guess at what they were. It turned out that my production was so bad, the name wasn't of much consequence. The one that I knew for sure was Black Prince, and I found I did not care for it at all!
This year, I have only started Big Beef, Kellogg's Breakfast, and San Marzano. Surely I can tell those apart!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I copied @marshallsmyth 's method of using a wooden stake, the type you can buy a bundle of for marking corners or whatever for construction. ( What are they called? I have fog brain...) They worked well, for one thing they're hard to lose! I wrote on them with a Sharpie, and it did fade but was readable still at the end of the season.

Of course that's for once they are in the ground, don't try it in your 6 packs. :p

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
probably grading stakes. i use them for temporary borders for my garden beds to keep dh from running things over with the lawn mower. i've used them this past season for marking my garlics-they've been written on with sharpies too. i've asked my dh to do up galvanized metal plates to attach to them but he did one and felt the metal stamping letters were too small to read-told him they are not too small for ME to read. but he didn't finish them for me. :(

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
some of those wooden stakes, the 1x2 inch kind that are in or on the ground, and get watered around and on, will be best to remark part way through the season.

Saturday. Have to make a plan for what to do today.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall-Seems that you have lived in many parts of the country. You have an opportunity to pick any place in the country, actually the world, where you want to live. I would pick the best growing area.LOL. Hope the check was good. Hope you have great success.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here where we must irrigate daily wood doesn't last more than one season, anything below surface rots. So paint stirring sticks are cheaper than grading stakes, especially on the scale of our gardening, I can easily go through a box of 500. I've also used Impress O Tags, metal tags that I have imprinted and wired onto tomato cages, because for a long time we grew the same things. Now I grow so many different things on a rotational basis it's too much work to make and sort through them each year. I will use the remainder of those on my perennial flowers instead.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use a lot of metal lids from cans. I keep labeling as simple as possible with a number and a letter the correlates with what's in my garden notebook. It takes a bit longer to find the name for some things, but I can identify what the veggie is, seeking the variety takes a smidgeon longer, but it's nice to not worry about fading. A metal coat hanger makes 4 stakes/hangers with one hole drilled into the lid. Even rust doesn't make the raised number/letter signs disappear by season's end.

Latest posts