What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
One old mini blind will keep you in plant markers for at least the next 15 years of your life. I save one every so often for this purpose. I turn them so the late afternoon sun will not shine on the side with writing. I can staple them to the tops of my tomato stakes. Works for me! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carrot and parsnips.

This is after we emptied the "pit" of last year's carrots and parsnips, yesterday.

An early sowing and there's snow in the forecast but I'd better find a way to use a lot of carrots - fast! Going off to look for carrot casserole recipes ... casseroles freeze well ..

. Steve
shock.gif

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I finished planting today (well mostly)! The peppers,tomatoes and the last of the peas went in today. If the peppers survive the windy weather I'll be set. I sowed some lettuce, spinach and rutabaga (thanks @HotPepperQueen ). I just need to find them a home. I still have 6 unused tires from last year that I'm still debating on using. Got done with that and helped DH make a batch of rootbeer.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Updates

The peas went outside a few days ago. As I expected the critters have already eaten about 20-30 of them, but since there are around 80 in the pot (and it really doesn't have room for more than 8-10 adult pea plants anyway) that is no big deal

Also planted the "vintels" in their outside pot ("vintels" are my nickname for a kind of seed I was pulling out of some Indian lentils over the winter in fairly large amounts. I call them that because, at this point (even after doing a test pot indoors) I can't tell if they are a kind of lentil or a kind of vetch (there are a lot of actual unimpeachable vetches mixed into the same bags, so it could be either. So "vintel" ("letch" after all, already means something ) since those were planted dry, they have, of course, not yet come up, we'll need a lot of rain for that.

I also dragged the garlic, rakkyo and mystery allium pots out of the garage where they had been overwintering. The garlic looks sort of mixed. What is there looks extremely healthy and green, but I could have sworn there were a lot more plants in that pot when I brought it down (and there are no gnawed fragments or divots in the soil, so if it was visited by rodents over the winter, they would have had to be rodents intelligent enough to tamp the soil back down flat after they were done digging. I also cannot help but notice that most of the healthy looking plants are coming from the fresh purchased cloves I added. my own much smaller rounds seem to be rather ailing and have set down few, if any roots. Look like they might have been so small they burned themselves out and ran out of juice over the winter. On the other hand they may not all be domestic plants. There ARE some A. azuraneum plants in that pot too and I sowed it with a cocktail of wild allium seeds as well. Maybe the little plants are some of those (Guess ill find out come flowering time).

The Rakkyo looks as it always does at this point in the year, sort of droopy and hairy. Now that I know the life cycle, maybe I'll get luck and a few of them will flower.

The Mystery is a mystery, of course (I bought it off a vegetable stand in Chinatown, so it is clearly edible, but that's all I know at this point).

Finally there is the matter of the pansies. The first batch I bought did not do so well, they really suffered while waiting inside. Of the 22 plants, only 7 lived long enough to be planted and of those only 1 was one of the ones I bought the groupings for. So today, I went hunting again and managed to pick up 5 more plants (one since one four pack) those went in immediately so they should be good. Below are pictures of two (the one I bought the fourpack for, and the single

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A7%3B%3B%3Enu%3D7965%3E7%3B9%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D36%3C9%3B44634335nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A278%3Enu%3D7965%3E7%3B9%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D36%3C9%3B4463%3B335nu0mrj

Note that the second one is NOT ruffled (as is common); the petals have ACTUAL scalloping along the edges. Never seen that before.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A mere 3 weeks behind schedule I finally got some seeds started yesterday.
5 hot pepper varieties (thanks @HotPepperQueen !)
5 tomato varieties including two from @marshallsmyth (thanks Marshall! "Little Roxi" and "Brandywine Yellow).

Belinensis Sweet Peas (thanks @ninnymary !) and something I've never grown - escarole! (thanks @Nyboy ! Putting some ciao! in my chow this year).

I actually have bought seed too, although looking at this list might make you wonder.

Latest posts