1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. That's bananas!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Garden' started by Nifty, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Apr 11, 2015
    Pulsegleaner

Pulsegleaner Deeply Rooted

Barley went out yesterday. Kusa said to treat my Chusi Gandruk Tibetan as if the seven packets were one, so they all went in the same pot. Another rpot went to the Horedum zeocrichtom . That pot pedestals free for other things. Beans will get 1-3 and I'll need one each for the X-pot, the found grains pot and the Job's Tears so I may or may not be filled up there.

flowerweaver likes this.
  2. Apr 13, 2015
    Pulsegleaner

Ran out and got some more pansies (didn't take a picture yet) One flat of 8 packs, so probably 32-48 plants (forgot if the packs are 4-packs or 6-packs).

Not as wowing as the two I took the pics of before, but I did manage to get them from the place before so I managed to get some red. I didn't notice it until now (because I wasn't really looking) but red is a pretty hard color to FIND in the smaller flowered violas. White, no problem, Blue, pretty easy, The Johnny Jump Up duo (purple and yellow) common as muck. Even Orange and Black aren't all that tough (though finding Violas with the black "bib" larger pansies have is a bit of a challenge). But red seems to be almost exclusively the provenance of big flowered pansies. I walked in assuming that, as I knew that the reds were usually only one plant of a pack, I'd end up either having to leave a lot of reds behind or but a ton of flats. But it turns out that I couldn't even fill one. There were only seven packs with a red (actually there were probably only six; I think one of the reds is a big flowered one that I grabbed because someone had stuck it in with the little ones) and I ended up having to round out with a pack with an orange. I have a nagging suspicion that, if next year I want a mass of red violas, I had better plan to spend this season doing a HELL of a lot of bagging for seed collection and REALLY read up on growing pansies from seed.

3. Apr 14, 2015
    4grandbabies

4grandbabies Deeply Rooted

I am planting nothing outside, ground stays to wet to get garden ready!! :-(

4. Apr 14, 2015
    Pulsegleaner

Pansies were planted. turns out there were 46 plants (the little ones are six packs, the big one was a 4)

I noticed something odd when I was planting vis a vis the calyces of the red violas. All of the red flowered ones had toothed calyces and ONLY the reds did. Maybe that why red is so rare, it's actually a totally different strain.

5. Apr 14, 2015
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

I am in the same boat (almost literally!), 4grandbabies. We are getting an inch, or two, or three of rain most days. I had really hoped to have the garden tilled by now. :\ Our area has had severe flooding, some of the worst we've had in several years. I've got one raised bed I can plant in right now to get a few spring things started, and two others needing repair as soon as I can get to it.

6. Apr 15, 2015
    Wishin'

Wishin' Deeply Rooted

I planted glass gem corn, romanesco broccoli, peas,assorted sunflowers, and lots of different varieties of morning glories. And rooted five snowbank blackberries in the last six days.

7. Apr 15, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Garden Master

I finally get to stick my hands into the garden for real. Planted Fingerling potatoes, Romaine Lettuce, and mixed-color carrots. Hoping I'm not too early, but there are no freezing nights as far as the forecasters can see.

8. Apr 16, 2015
    Gardening with Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits Garden Addicted

Started cucumbers, squash, watermelon and cantaloupe seeds today. Ate the first radish and cut some spinach today. I had some Tom Thumb lettuce the other day.

9. Apr 17, 2015
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

@Gardening with Rabbits,

Is your garden somewhere around 745 feet in elevation?

Radish & Spinach and my garden has frost every morning! I'm starting to get an idea where you are ;).

Steve

10. Apr 17, 2015
    Gardening with Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits Garden Addicted

My yard has frost too, but the radish and spinach are under plastic. The picture with plastic was March 12. The picture of the lettuce and spinach is April 7 and also the radishes. The lettuce is gone now. I started the lettuce inside. There are weeds and a couple of strawberry plants. I planted the radishes and spinach in Feb. There are a few spinach plants that are bigger that were started inside. It was just kind of an experiment to see and if I had planted that whole box and covered it, I would be eating high on the hog right now. The rest of the box has garlic over on the left in the IMG_0207x.JPG IMG_0256x.JPG IMG_0257x.JPG
    straw. I also planted bok- choy that I had started. Slugs were starting to eat the leaves, so I cut them and already had some bok-choy and planted some more little ones and put cayenne pepper around them. The bok-choy is in that little box with the plastic. I went out one day after it rained and was taking the water off because it was sinking down and there was a big piece of ice in the water and everything under the plastic was fine.

Attached Files:

journey11, catjac1975 and digitS' like this.