What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
We should have fixed it when the first neighbor moved out before it sold again. The wood fence is there and probably a good thing. Peace and happiness with the neighbors is worth more than the ground. If we sold this place, then the neighbors might have trouble. I would talk to the real estate people about that. BUT, if we were talking 15 feet like Smart Red, then this would be different.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I planted 15 more tomatoes, some Blood Butcher, Roma, Early Wonder, Legend, Cherokee Purple, and some ? marks. I think they are cherry tomatoes. I did some weeding because it rained and DS helped we clean out an area of weeds and ground that I am reclaiming from where I had planted some raspberries a few years ago that did not grow well, so I have a 3 ft wide area about 15 feet long to plant something.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here's a cheaper solution that I will use, should my wonderful neighbor to the south every sell his house (not to his DD, who is also a good friend.) Buy livestock electric fencing and a solar electric charger. They are easy to resell later and you shock someone trying to cross it.
My neighbor cleaned up and mows a 1/8 acre portion of my property, that was originally an easement, but no longer is so. He lets his grandkids play on it, and we have agreed to let that be so. Should he sell, I will be putting up electric immediately and grazing my animals on it. Let the new owner survey and discover that it is MY property. You must resolve this bc after so many years---it 20 years here in IL, I believe---the property goes to the user, which, in your case, means that your neighbor can effectively use it and steal it bc of use.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a cheaper solution that I will use, should my wonderful neighbor to the south every sell his house (not to his DD, who is also a good friend.) Buy livestock electric fencing and a solar electric charger. They are easy to resell later and you shock someone trying to cross it.
My neighbor cleaned up and mows a 1/8 acre portion of my property, that was originally an easement, but no longer is so. He lets his grandkids play on it, and we have agreed to let that be so. Should he sell, I will be putting up electric immediately and grazing my animals on it. Let the new owner survey and discover that it is MY property. You must resolve this bc after so many years---it 20 years here in IL, I believe---the property goes to the user, which, in your case, means that your neighbor can effectively use it and steal it bc of use.

I did read that about you have to resolve it after a certain length of time. My DH is really into survey markers and he found all 4 corners and he knew where our land was. When the new neighbor a single girl moved in, he showed her where the markers were. She said she is putting her fence next to ours. My DH was starting to argue. She was getting ready to call 911 because she did not like his manner. My DH actually called the zoning or somebody who said the police handled that and an officer came and he wanted to see the fence and told me, I should just plant beans on it and be glad I have a new fence.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 26 pepper plants today. Cubanella, Sunsation, Keystone Giant, Red Marconi, Big Dipper,Ancho Pablano, King of the North, Early Jalapeno, Banana, Garden Salsa, and a bunch with a ? that could be any of the names mentioned or even something not mentioned yet.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Set out cabbage plants.

Yep, they should've already been out there a month ago but the plants were okay, started late. They were intended for the garden extension and the big delay was waiting for the tractor guy to show up and till the ground! He finally did Tuesday. He will have to return a third time (!), to do some more work for the neighbor.

Savoy and Late Dutch along with some Portuguese kale ... we'd already gone through 2 beds with spading forks so as to set out Scotch kale. The South Seas Chinese kale (kailaan) is yet to go out but the plants are tiny. It may be a real test of the heat resistance of some of these things but spring temperatures have been somewhat normal here and if continue to be so, I will be complaining about too cool of weather into June ;). Probably not but low 70's isn't like 85° and 90°.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My 24 cabbages are doing well. I thought that we'd have a Peter Rabbit problem, so I caged them in chicken wire. No nibbles.
I got in all of the impatiens and begonias in the two beds north of the garage, and east and west of the walkway. We've had some good, soaking showers since then, so I didn't have to water them. :weee
Apparently, we had been in a slight drought, but no more after 4 inches of rain last weekend!
I still have to put in the rest of the vinca to replace some that used to be there. There are some really pretty vinca out there, very colorful.
Boy, you just keep learning...bc the plants talk to you...but never about politics. :lol:

Latest posts