What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is so good to be back! My computer was 'down' for the past 7 days. I needed a 13 year old to get me back on line again. Sheesh, how close to extinction is that?

I'll be trying to get the wild grassy jungle around my raised veggie beds tamed today and I will be getting a few annuals to tuck here and there around the property. Most of my time will be spent weeding the shade garden, though.

I am sad to say I still have places in need of their first mowing of the year. Between the rain and the Simplicity being down I haven't been able to keep up. I do have last year's new lawn planting mowed, fertilized, and de-weeded, while the weather has been perfect for the lawn I seeded earlier this month and soon all signs of Geo-damage to the yard will be gone from view.

Also spent two mornings with attorneys "Deposing" witnesses for our court date on the 28/29 of May, with my attorney smiling ever bigger and the neighbor's attorney looking for all the world like Yosemite Sam when things go wrong. I was brought to tears by the badgering their attorney gave my old neighbor because he didn't say what the new neighbors had been telling their attorney. The neighbor's have no idea what they purchased and they still have no idea what they are disputing. I will be so glad to have this affair over with.

freedhardwoods

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted several potatoes (red) & cucumbers and pumpkins (black) yesterday. Green beans are just popping through in the blue. The green is tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, lettuce, and zucchini. I've been planting about 160' (four 40' rows) of sweet corn every week for a few weeks in my other garden. The first plantings didn't come up, so I've replanted a couple times.

NORTH GARDEN B1.jpg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A cloudburst nearly turned my basil into pesto!

I had peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and basil out on the lawn, running a sprinkler over them. While they were dripping, I noticed a change in the sky :rolleyes:!

Lucky to have just gotten all of them under cover before I got a soaking, too. Plenty of thunder but no nearby trees or gardeners struck by lightning. Never saw hail so it might have been another case of me over-reacting ;).

Steve
who has to start shooing some of these things out into the open garden soon ... :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have suggested Rabbits stick to planting only 4 pepper plants at one time. Hopefully she got a decent soaking rain without any damage. Over-reacting in the garden beats doing nothing every time in my book, steve.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a nice rain, but it came back later and I had to put the plants on the patio under shelter. DH thought I made it rain because in the morning I took the plants and put on the patio and as soon as I did the clouds came. lol

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
tilled 3/4 of the large garden tonight. here's hoping tomorrow night i can get the rest tilled & the pole beans & corn planted before it rains. i was able to get my hands on 4 different red raspberry plants and a thorn-less Navajo blackberry plant that was marked down to $8 at the local big box/hardware store. i'll be tilling a few more spaces on the other side of the yard to put those in.

did a little work on the greenhouse with my dad today. what a chore getting everything leveled and squared up. i made it much taller that i should have.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted seed for Broadleaf Batavian Escarole. Why didn't I do that earlier? Because it was good as a summer green last year :). That's important to me! After bok choy nearly thru the winter, the spring and a few weeks into summer - I'm ready for a change.

My first "green" from the open garden isn't green, it's purple! Purple Orach. Today, I planted seed for Red Orach. Mary has given me a chance to find out if it is different ... and, if I've forgotten what color was printed on my first orache seed, a dozen years ago :). I figure that the volunteers in my garden will be played out just about the time the Red Orach is ready. It should make a nice combination with the spinach out there as tiny seedlings right now.

Today, I set out more Portuguese kale and kai-lan -- South Seas. I grew a few plants about 5 or so years ago. Evergreen Seed says South Seas is heat-resistant and it seemed to be. The leaves were huge but I never had it to compare with Portuguese kale. They are both Brassica oleracea but aren't cabbages or broccoli and come from opposite ends of Eurasia!

Steve