What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We put our tomatoes in today. I bought all heirloom, non-GMO plants so we can start saving seeds:
Box Car Willie's
Brandywine's
Old German
Rapunzel Cherry

Also some California Peppers and few varieties of Asian egg plants.

Tomorrow, we'll get the cukes, beans and peas going.

I hope I won't miss my beef steaks!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The choy sum bolted like immediately. We still ate some.

As Pulse' notes, one kind of weather always interferes with one kind of garden plant or another. Good reason to have diversity :). And, to save the seeds of what works ;).

Try the flowering Komatsuna shoots raw, GWR. Work your way down to the older leaves, nibbling. Some bitterness and toughness can be overcome by cooking - not much. If there is nice flavor and sweetness don't hesitate to harvest.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The choy sum bolted like immediately. We still ate some.

As Pulse' notes, one kind of weather always interferes with one kind of garden plant or another. Good reason to have diversity :). And, to save the seeds of what works ;).

Try the flowering Komatsuna shoots raw, GWR. Work your way down to the older leaves, nibbling. Some bitterness and toughness can be overcome by cooking - not much. If there is nice flavor and sweetness don't hesitate to harvest.

Steve

Sounds good, thank you. I do not know why all these years I have not been growing more greens. I think my eyesight is paying for it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just planted a firepit! This week I'm home through Thursday to finish my planting, including the 16" x 16" pavers that will surround the pit.
I WILL post pictures when it's finished. Did the hardest part, leveling out a sloped area and laying and leveling the stones--it was from a kit for a 4' 2 3/4" square firepit from Menard's.
Soon we will burn in style...like people from the burbs. =b

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
planted 4 different potato varieties-Purple Viking, All Blue/Magic Molly (think i mixed them together when i stored them this winter), Banana Fingerling, and Irish Cobbler. i should have put those in over a month ago but i've been behind with a lot of things. also got in the eggplants around the edges of the potato patch, corn planted, pole beans and some bush beans, need to get some more bush beans done. some broccoli, brussel sprouts, collards, and some peas in pots surrounding the garden.

noticed one of my pots near the large garden had lettuce growing that i didn't plant yet. i remembered last year that one of the pots of lettuce went to seed and that must be where they are coming from.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished the pepper planting with some kind of vaguely defined ornamental from a friend. The eggplants are out under a cloudy sky. They were toughened up nicely before being set out.

Lots of Cucurbits! Cucumbers, squash (summer & winter), pumpkins and melons :).

A little more sweet corn - Quickie! Another shortie for a short season. We will see if it can catch up with Sugar Buns and Ambrosia, already emerging.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I finally got my tomato plants in the ground. DIL found a source for Black Sea Man plants so I pick up a few heirloom varieties there. Today I found there were aphids on the new plants.

I've never had a problem with aphids before in the veggie garden. One year they got on some roses for a short time and once in the sun room until I brought in some lady bug captives to clean them up.

What do I do to get rid of them and keep them from spreading through the garden? (Outside of the "Ladybug -- help wanted" sign I put up.)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soapy water is best method I know outside of poisons designed to kill them.

Latest posts