What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aphids are fairly easy to kill and surprisingly difficult ...

What I mean is that I don't understand how they can be such a problem and their numbers rebound so quickly. Maybe it's just that I underestimate their initial population numbers and wiping out 85% of a bazillion just doesn't mean much after the 15% plump-up once they have more elbow room.

We are told that aphids reproduce sexually and asexually with generations of all females (link). Whoa!

Anyway, my first experience with Brussels sprouts last year was an aphid battle. They were at a disadvantage on the Brussels sprouts compared to their cousins hiding in the cabbage leaves. I could hit them with the spray.

Insecticidal soap one week and pyrethrum the next, that seemed to do them in fairly well.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aphids are born pregnant, that is why the population explodes. In NE Indiana, we get them from storms from Minnesota. Once here, they explode. IF you see the winged versions, they are getting ready to move on to hurt another field.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just planted zuchhini's for second time. First didn't come. Got impatient with green beans, now have double planted. Will have to thin as want green beans not green bean plants.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally was able to do something in the garden. I weeded the pole beans. Really a lot of weeds, but I found the beans and look good, but there were a lot that did not come up. I may put some beans in the bare spots. The asparagus I am just letting fern. The peppers look small, the tomatoes look good, the squash and potatoes are fine, lettuce good, collards, cabbage and kale. Lots of weeds. Beets not doing too good. I never planted my melons, but I might get that done. The plants have flowers now, but still in pots, but look healthy. I may plant some seeds too. A lot of maybe's in this post, lol.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
been potting up lots of tomato plants lately, does this count as planting? weather and my work schedule haven't been the greatest of timing to get my tomatoes and peppers in the ground.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got 15 more tomato plants in the ground this evening and helped Ava plant her 4 tomatoes and 3 peppers in her little plot. DH hilled my potatoes for me, bless his heart. I have 15 more tomatoes to go and peppers and cabbage (too late to bother?) and everything that needs directly sown like beans and watermelon, etc. It's starting to look like a garden though.

I've been running around all day trying to get everything ready so we can take a little weekend trip, DH and I. The kids are going one each to either grandma's house. First trip without the kids ever. I hope I can handle the peace and quiet, ha. Going fishing and hiking, staying in a nice lodge within the state park. It's where my parents honeymooned, many years ago. :)

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sowing carrots and peas in the morning if all goes well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa!

You are coming up to the shortest day of your year, @Hal .

I've got some fresh sunflower seeds in the soil ;). A 2nd planting of China aster starts should be out in a flower bed soon.

;) Steve

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whoa!

You are coming up to the shortest day of your year, @Hal .

I've got some fresh sunflower seeds in the soil ;). A 2nd planting of China aster starts should be out in a flower bed soon.

;) Steve
I can feel it, the days aren't pleasant enough to go outside until after noon and then you only have a few hours of good light to get things done.
What do you use your sunflowers for, seeds or aesthetics?

Latest posts