What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is it too late to start cabbage? I think I will start a few extra tomatoes and peppers tomorrow.
@lcertuche recently commented on planting seed after frost date - link.

I said that I did that with cabbage but that they matured much later than they were "supposed to." I could have also said that this was according to listed maturing date and I bet store-bought plants are way too often in a state of stress that delays their development.

I said early became late but I am sure it was with Copenhagen Market cabbage and it is sometimes described as early but is more mid-season compared to some. It made a late harvest and wasn't too bad in that role. I only had one South Window in that home and it was small - so reserved for my peppers and tomatoes. With a greenhouse later, I went for early/late and 1 variety of each.

I'm trying several early ones this year; even went back to Jersey Wakefield, which will be fun. Hot, dry weather puts such a stress on any cabbage and the aphids take advantage of it. Frustrating! But, if I can use the early ones early, with all those other greens available at the same time :rolleyes:, maybe I can enjoy growing it more.

Anyway, Copenhagen Market did fine for me from seed direct-sown.

Steve

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't think it's ever too late for cabbage. If it comes on over an extended period of time due to planting date, I see that as a positive. Hate it when all the heads come on at once. Now if you were canning, making kraut, then probably a good thing.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't think it's ever too late for cabbage. If it comes on over an extended period of time due to planting date, I see that as a positive. Hate it when all the heads come on at once. Now if you were canning, making kraut, then probably a good thing.
If you plant a variety of seed your will get a harvest that staggers. Also direct sown will come in the fall.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Quote Ridgerunner: your latitude is not as high as I was when I was in Copenhagen Denmark, but the only way I could get a tomato to ripen was to grow it in a greenhouse. That greenhouse was not heated, was glass, and my 5-year-old made sure that glass greenhouse had good ventilation up high at one panel, but it made all the difference in the world. Here I find peppers are later than tomatoes.
--------------------------------------------

Wouldn't mind hearing more about Copenhagen~if you get around to posting story or two of your happenings there.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have only been planting early for the last couple of years with Jersey Wakefield and Greyhound and I have had good luck. I am going to just plant seeds and when I have room to put in I will. I have no idea what I am doing this year. :hu

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted my sprouted potatoes yesterday. They were the russets and red potatoes I had in the kitchen. I cut them a few days ago and have been letting them dry out a bit. I put an old bed spring over them to keep the chickens off them until they are up.

Today I bought a 4-pack of Arkansas Traveler tomatoes at the local Trade Days. I saw some at Walmart a couple of days but they were $4.50 a plant. Everyone around here loves their Arkansas Travelers so I guess that's why the price was so high. I think next year I'll be trying to buy some seed. I couldn't find any this year. I could probably make a few bucks selling seedlings for a buck a piece. I wonder if I will be remembering this next spring, lol.

Latest posts