What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My gardener education continues. Soooo...started seeds under a grow light. Got tons of lettuce, but trying to transplant them to a mini greenhouse was too much trouble. I transplanted about 15 of them and then gave up. They are leggy and tender and several just split or fell apart. I filled the rest of the 72 cell unit with new lettuce seeds, spray watered heavily and put out of the south side window of the porch to leave from new sprouts. I started a new 72 cell unit with 2-5 spinach seeds. It is on top of a heat mat and under 1-2 gro lights in the basement the 72 cell units have a plastic top with ample room for them to grow and I won't have to babysit/mist every single darn day. Last year my seeds sprouted but most dried out. At some point I think I will get it right. :rant
I will dump the lettuce sprouts out in a garden bed, wish them luck and see if make it outside. :barnie
On the OTHER hand some of the crocus and iris bulbs that I put in a small pot decided to sprout after nearly a month. I had really given up on them and was about to replant the pot. Busy today, BUT I hope to transplant the sprouted Spring bulbs from one of the pots to plastic cups and put on the porch. I will take a photo before transplanted bc the container is glass and you see the roots. VERY interesting to see.

I kind of do what digitS but usually I have plastic over a box, but this year the snow. I am sitting here with my seeds and trays and trying to figure out the weather. I am thinking of using the 72 cells, but I think they do not need much heat, like onions, need light.

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted Banana Peppers, Bell Peppers, Jalapenos, Cayenne, Bush Early Girls, Romas, Rio Grande Tomatillos, Black Tomatoes, Dwarf Basil, Marigolds and the last thing to plant is going to be sowed right in the bed my 4 oz’s of Wildflowers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been neglecting Nifty's thread.

Yesterday, I got some cilantro into the ground. Small plants in 6-packs, there were several seeds in each cell.

They went into an area of ground where the first sowing of sweet corn grew. All those ears have now been harvested. This is the third year to try this succession. The first year, seed went in and the corn stalks were left awhile to shade the ground before being cut. Worked great with plenty of useful size cilantro to join the last big hauls of tomatoes before frost.

The second year, it didn't work so good. The cilantro plants were tiny. So .... this year the seed went in the potting mix here at home and little drippy bundles of cilantro roots and leaves were plunked into the loosened soil in the corn stubble. We will see. They can take some cold. I don't think that the weather will be back to the 100's.

They better hurry up. It is a good tomato year and I have too many tomatoes, already! Plenty of onions. The slugs were hard on the basil in the backyard this summer. Basil or cilantro. Salsa or pasta sauce ... gotta jump one direction or the other!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been neglecting Nifty's thread.

Yesterday, I got some cilantro into the ground. Small plants in 6-packs, there were several seeds in each cell.
Steve

it will be soon! :) in the meantime i've been planting my butt too much in front of this computer screen. it's ok though, because i've not really been sitting much as my back couldn't take it...

what will you be planting this season? :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those cilantro plants did what they were set out to do ... in 6 outta 10 cases. It has been helpful to have learned that cilantro roots are edible, especially when they are not very mature. Of course, mature, they would just need a little more cooking ;).

I have already ordered some things from Baker Creek -- taking advantage of their free shipping and overcoming my apprehension on dealing with an upstart seed outfit :).

Their Verde da Taglio chard and a blend of Orach are on the way to me :).

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
TOOOO SSSOOOOOONNNN!!!!!!!! :th
I am still busy mastering what plants can be grown inside successfully right now. Kittens have made it IMpossible to grow on my basement windows!!!! :barnie:barnie:barnie
SO, the #'s of plants is down this year.
My geraniums are doing great by the north facing upstairs (suicide) windows.
Also, the $1 (I think all are yellow) mums are doing great by the south facing upstairs windows.
Looks like I overwatered the tuberous begonias, so I will let them dry out a bit.
It is tricky getting enough light bc I understand that the windows suck lightcandles from the sunlight, BUT today is the shortest day of the year, so everything should do better after this.
I plan to start onions and lettuce next week upstairs in those Christmas cookie plastic grocery store containers. It is March-cool upstairs and that should help.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
136A2CEF-D2EB-444C-8FE7-C33658420045.jpeg
Attempting seed starting. 7 tomatoes, 6 jalapeños, 2 shi****o, 2 pepperoncini, 1 cascabel, and 1 fushimi pepper.