What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We put in four rows of red potatoes over the weekend and the green peas are up about 4 inches. The onions are beginning to poke through also. I'm hoping by weekend I can plant my tomatoes and put them under cover if it turns cold again and I want to plant some turnip and mustard seed.
Winds got up to 60mph last night. It just howled. It's down to 25-35 today with higher gusts but it's supposed to die down tonight. I hope so as we leave in the morning for Las Vegas to meet up with my daughter coming in from NC. It tends to be real windy on hwy 15

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
desertwillow said:
We put in four rows of red potatoes over the weekend and the green peas are up about 4 inches. The onions are beginning to poke through also. I'm hoping by weekend I can plant my tomatoes and put them under cover if it turns cold again and I want to plant some turnip and mustard seed.
Winds got up to 60mph last night. It just howled. It's down to 25-35 today with higher gusts but it's supposed to die down tonight. I hope so as we leave in the morning for Las Vegas to meet up with my daughter coming in from NC. It tends to be real windy on hwy 15
Oh I'm so jealous! I forgot to check my peas today.... it would be so exciting to see them come up, that would make my week.

Enjoy Vegas!

I did manage to plant more spinach today, and I found a Rosemary plant in bloom for $3.00 so I grabbed that up and planted next to my driveway in another new bed. I give up on trying to grow it from cuttings, I'm a failure at cuttings. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just finished sowing the seed of 26 varieties of tomatoes!

I can hardly believe it . . .

Twenty-six years ago, I was happy enuf with 2!

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I just finished sowing the seed of 26 varieties of tomatoes!

I can hardly believe it . . .

Twenty-six years ago, I was happy enuf with 2!

Steve
That is so funny. I swore I was only planting 1 type this year after the 3 last year and now I am doing 7 (plus one for my brother). I wonder if I will ever get to 26? :weight

Ga Chicken Mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Steve, 26 varieties of tomatoes! Please let us know your favorite cherry, grape, big, cooking etc at the end of summer. I started tomatoes (only 10 varieties), peppers (green and hot), and broccoli last Fri. The broccoli was up on Mon morning and I can see some of the tomatoes sprouting today. Also started basil, parsley, thyme, chard, bok choy, cukes, squash, pumpkins, watermelon and cantalope. All are in peat pots inside. Onions, garlic, potatoes, spinach, beets, peas, salad greens and carrots are going in the ground today. We are about 7 weeks from our last frost and I've never planted outside so early. I'll use frost blankets on the raised beds if necessary. Wish me luck. Those of you who have aready planted outside inspired me to give it a go.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are supposed to be 10 new varieties this year - the biggest experiment in the tomato patch, ever!

For the 1st time in 26 . . . well, more like 35 years, there will be no Large Red Cherry. That is such a reliable variety, I hate to give it up but there have been a couple that are just too nice to let that old stand-by squeeze them so hard for a place in the sun.

I went back to Sweet 100 (or I guess it is now SuperSweet 100) after not growing it for about 10 years. It does so nicely and I'm sorry that I ever thought that Sweet Million might be a better choice. See, that's what happens. I think that I'm going to end up with something better with bells and whistles and something else falls by the wayside. It wouldn't at all surprise me if I have Large Red Cherry in the garden again in '11.

Sweet Chelsea is probably my favorite cherry. I've been delighted with it every time I've grown that variety.

Big Beef has been in my garden almost ever since it debuted about 20 years ago. I have trouble imagining a more appropriate choice for a full-flavored, healthy, early beefsteak. However . . . . both Thessoloniki and Rainy's Maltese do real well and are wonderful, mild heirlooms.

Mild flavor may be easier to "do" with early varieties but one that comes thru with lots of flavor before absolutely anything else each year is Bloody Butcher. It may not be everyone's favorite because it has such a flavor punch but I don't know how I could beat it for earliness.

Ildi is a dependable alternative to Yellow Pear and extremely productive. Yellow Pear just can't make it to harvest without splitting in my garden. Once again, I'll grow Yellow Submarine but if I mix it up with Ildi . . . again, well, I'm not sure what I'll think. I'm even wondering if Ildi went to Ireland and came back with a different name.

Buisson and Market Miracle are a couple of new ones that I'm really looking forward to. Juane Flamme is a variety I've wanted to grow for years - it seems to do well in a variety of climates and the pictures are so pretty, don't you know? Lots of people have grown Black Cherry but this will be a first time for me. There are tremendous numbers of heirlooms one could grow, especially if you have a season a little more suitable for tomatoes than what I've got here.

I mean, did you look at that list of plants that GardeNerd has to choose from at the Fullerton Arboretum's Monster Tomato sale ?!?

Twenty-six varieties are "necessary" to keep me happy in my tomato-limited growing area . . . don't you think?

Steve ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me and DD enjoyed the most beautiful, wonderful, glorious day out in the garden today "diggin' in the dirt" (as she puts it).
:coolsun

I am really psyched about my garden this year and am really starting to see my soil building efforts pay out. My soil is so rich, loose and easily workable now. (Take ~THAT~ WV red clay!) I don't think it is going to need much tilling this year (except maybe for the potato rows).

Today I planted: radishes, 2 types of leaf lettuce, spinach, kale, carrots, beets, turnips, swiss chard and peas.

We are getting some rain now this evening....

I already have garlic started from last fall, waiting on it to pop up. Put my onion sets in about 2 weeks ago. Have some parsley and sage overwintering from last year. And some leaf lettuce big enough to pick now that I started in November and kept going under a row cover.

My strawberry plot is ready to go. Much bigger this year! :ya

I just love this time of year...so exciting! I am off to a really good start this year. :tools

There is a slight chance of a late snow, but I'm not worried. I can cover it if I have to. But I know this WV weather--without fail, one of two things will happen if you procrastinate and don't get your cool weather crops in--it will either be such a rainy spring that you can't work the soil, or we skip right over the cool spring weather and head right into summer...or both! :tongue

Gotta take advantage of these nice days! :bun

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday and today I planted six different potatoes (three fingerling and three regular), sweet bicolor corn, and I bought several more tomatoes that I will be putting in the ground tomorrow, I hope.

My turnips have come up really well and the carnival carrots just started to poke their leaves up but the dragon carrots have yet to make an appearance. I am going to be really bummed if none of the dragons come up since I have been looking forward to those for a year!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I can't plant a darned thing today....we have wind from h------ . As they say"this too shall pass" but until it does I have to satay inside and wait for the dust to stop blowing. My trees are flowering though and daffodils are so pretty. I will do inside work today and hope for no wind tomorrow.

Latest posts