What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Big Red Hen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So far just 3 strawberry plants and about 40 onion bulbs.
I'll do most of my planting during my spring break in a couple weeks. I want to plant lots of okra, cucumbers and corn. Maybe some green beans.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Couldn't finish--mom went into the hospital--but I planted (indoors) all 10 strawberry starts, 10 (jiffy) pots of broccoli, 10 pots of cabbage, 20 pots of spinach, 10 pots of green cabbage. Planted 7 Ranunculus bulbs, transplanted 3 iris that I had separated last fall, have about 35 cloves of garlic growing in my basement windows, have 2 blackberry bushes FLOWERING in my basement (that didn't get planted in 2009!!!!), AND I planted 6 pots of sugar-snap peas. Going home tomorrow, so I can finish my indoor starts.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted peas yesterday, Saint Patrick's day is the day around here for that.
Mostly just cleaning the yard and waiting for the warmer weather when we can plant around here.

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ducks--hope your mom is doing well.

Today I'm planting old horse blankets. :rant

We're expecting wind chills in the single digits, followed by snow. Wish we were getting the snow first (...also wishing that my silly apricot trees had waited a few more days before blooming. sniffle I do love fresh apricots! )

So I'm off to cover my peas, lettuce and heavy pots of other stuff that it appears I planted too early!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks, desertcat! :hugs Yep, my mom is getting out of the hospital today, and feels much better after minor surgery. So, I get to go home and finish planting!! :weee

You GOTTA show me some pictures of planting your horse blankets. Are they in such bad shape that the only real use is for gardening now?!?!? :lol:

I believe that gardeners must be the MOST resourceful people around! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad to hear your mom is ok Ducks! :D

I've been visited by my mother-in-law this week and I've been busy keeping her busy. :D And I've been ill.

But yesterday and today we planted 3 more fruit trees, 2 peach and 1 pear.

We planted 25 red onions my neighbor bought more then he needed and brought them over.

The little lovey (DD) wanted to do more spinach and bok choy, and since my last planting didn't seem to come up, or I'm just impatient... we planted more.

AND we mulched about 80% of the garden beds.

PLUS, I'm so sick I shouldn't have!!!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Glad to hear your mom is ok Ducks! :D

I've been visited by my mother-in-law this week and I've been busy keeping her busy. :D And I've been ill.

But yesterday and today we planted 3 more fruit trees, 2 peach and 1 pear.

We planted 25 red onions my neighbor bought more then he needed and brought them over.

The little lovey (DD) wanted to do more spinach and bok choy, and since my last planting didn't seem to come up, or I'm just impatient... we planted more.

AND we mulched about 80% of the garden beds.

PLUS, I'm so sick I shouldn't have!!!
GET WELL SOON !!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I buy most of my plants from a local gardening club. They are already climatized to this area so they grow better. I bought two small yucca plants, a lily I don't know the name of and four Naked Lady bulbs (spider lilies) and two Lady Banks Roses to climb on my fence out front. They grow very well in this climate. I planted four tomato plants yesterday and had to cover them last night due to high winds but they are fine. Tomorrow I hope to plant all I bought as well as some more veggie seeds, probably turnip and mustard seed and beans and squash.

Hope all of you who are sick get well soon.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well we had a cold snap yesterday but it was 70 on thursday so I put in a new flower bed. I am planning on putting birdfeeders, a bridbath and reseeding annuals out there. Poppies, some wildflowers my sister gave me (she said they are invasive. Thats good :) ), Prairie Coneflower, and some biennial hollyhocks and primroses. I am hoping to have it fill in the whole bed and kindof make an oasis for the birds and bees. :lol:

I also planed several pots inside- gaillardia and echinicia and some veggies. Bushel gourds, luffa gourds, watermelons to put out in my Wall-o-Waters ( I am trying for watermelons before July 4th this year. We will see! :lol: ) and about 8 different kinds of tomatoes and 5 different bell peppers.

Whew! Maybe I should take a break! :lol: But as soon as my ground gets worked I have 13 lbs of potatoes and 1 lb of peas to plant. :)

Latest posts