What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' thanks. Yes, Joseph Lofthouse is one of the people who introduced me to the idea of growing potatoes from seed. We have to grow everything with irrigation here (as he also does); what little rain there is cannot be counted on to fall when you need it most. Our 'soil' (mostly rock and silt) must be greatly amended with organic matter for growing potatoes--more than any other field--to make it work. I don't think there are many potatoes grown commercially in Texas, outside of the small red 'new' potatoes grown in east Texas. But we love them, and keep trying.

Interestingly, a lot of my garden seeds originally came from the PNW and have done well, some even surpassing the ones I've sourced from the Southwest!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One (we had three) of my thai basil plants kicked the bucket (stem finally cracked all the way through due to some damage earlier in the season) so I just started the germination process on a few more. Basil is a MUST in our house, and two plants just won't do.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday I planted seven varieties of mostly high desert New Mexico soup peas. It's a little late, or early, depending on which way you look at it, but with the winter being so mild (so far) I have hopes they will be forgiving.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just tucked a few spinach seeds into the ground in the hoop house. I'm doubtful they will germinate now, as our warm spell is ending, but maybe they will sprout in the spring. Meanwhile, I need to do battle with the rodents, which have mowed down the other spinach plants....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guard your garden, @buckabucka .

Spinach seed will be the earliest seed sown in my garden. The University of Minnesota tells us that if the soil temperature stays above freezing, germination should occur in about two months or less. Soil Temperature (°F) Days to Germination for Vegetables

Even if your outdoor soil temperature was 50° on March 1, which is unimaginable ;), you will be weeks ahead by sowing those seeds under plastic now.

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm putting some basil in soil today. 5 of the 6 seeds germinated in a covered tupperware w/ paper towel on a seeding mat.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only planting that I am doing is in my mind, seed catalogs are coming in the mail, its time to drool and dream, then get down to business by practical planning of what we need,what we like and what will grow the best in this area.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After mowing down the spinach, the rodents have developed a taste for lettuce. The spinach seeds don't seem to be disturbed just yet, so I left them a box of DeCon to work on yesterday.
And so far, they don't eat arugula, but maybe they would as a last resort.
We are also battling rats in the chicken run and mice in the house! They love it here.o_O

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts