What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
South Seas Gai Lan (for use as greens),
Senposai (for use as buds),
Picador Shallot seed (for use as bulbs), and
arugula (for use by someone else :p).

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Going to finish up today. I have melons & peppers that need to go out. Unfortunately, I killed about 1/3 of my pepper seedlings the other day, but I think I have enough to cover my pepper needs for the summer.

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Today I am finally getting around to planting the last of my veggies -- Anaheim chili and jalapeno peppers as young plants, then cucumbers, Blue Lake Pole Beans, and a whole bunch of summer squash, yellow crookneck, regular green zukes, and pattypans.

I'm planning 2 plants of each squash variety (we love squash around here, and I want some for making bread, and some to give away to friends and family . . . and now, I may plant an extra plant for our chickens. We'll see if there's room!)

I was going to plant 6 bean plants and 6 cuke plants (again, we want to eat fresh, can/freeze/pickle, and give some away) to make sure we have plenty. Not only that, but the original plan was to have the plants grow back down the other side of the trellis, into our back yard, but now, the chickens will get everything they can reach, so I have to plan for that shortage also :)

I still think 6 of each bean and cuke plant will be plenty. It's only the two of us here, after all!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
henrietta23 said:
Two blueberry bushes and pickling cucumbers.
And some fence posts. ;)
I was out in the front yard putting in dahlia roots one time. The little 4 year-old who lived close by was over as I'm getting the planting holes ready. I put a wood stake in each hole before going to get the roots.

The little girl asked me why I was planting "sticks" in my garden. :lol:

I told her that I grow sticks every year but unlike the plants they don't grow taller. In fact, when I pull them at the end of the season they have usually grown shorter . . .

Then I showed her how I tie baling twine "ribbons" on the stakes, anticipating having tall plants to tie up later. I brought out the "dead-looking" dahlia roots so she could see those. And, she was around to see the plants grow up, be tied to the stakes, and bloom.

Last I heard, she was graduating from high school but that's been a year or 2 ago. I wonder if she ever thinks about planting sticks and having flowers.

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today i'll plant basil and maybe some beets. Will plant some onion sets and lettuce tomorrow.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This week/Today I am transplanting some raspberries and blackberries, and in a couple weeks I'll be buying more blackberries to plant out. Also planting some corn.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
henrietta23 said:
Two blueberry bushes and pickling cucumbers.
And some fence posts. ;)
I was out in the front yard putting in dahlia roots one time. The little 4 year-old who lived close by was over as I'm getting the planting holes ready. I put a wood stake in each hole before going to get the roots.

The little girl asked me why I was planting "sticks" in my garden. :lol:

I told her that I grow sticks every year but unlike the plants they don't grow taller. In fact, when I pull them at the end of the season they have usually grown shorter . . .

Then I showed her how I tie baling twine "ribbons" on the stakes, anticipating having tall plants to tie up later. I brought out the "dead-looking" dahlia roots so she could see those. And, she was around to see the plants grow up, be tied to the stakes, and bloom.

Last I heard, she was graduating from high school but that's been a year or 2 ago. I wonder if she ever thinks about planting sticks and having flowers.

Steve
Steve you planted more than daliahs, any time some one invests time in a child ,you invest time in the future.. good for you!

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow -- I FINALLY got around to planting my cukes (*Eureka) and beans (Blue Lake Pole) today. Yikes. Planted all my squash yesterday, and I think I'm very glad that all the planting is finally done.

Started weeding, and am finding carrot sprouts in the wierdest places, LOL. That's what you get after 3 weeks of wind and rain!

Whitewater

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am jealous!! I still can't even start planting yet. I woke up to SNOW AGAIN!!! It looks like I MAY be able to start next week.
Monica

Latest posts