What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS .... When you say the cotton tails are after the bean seedlings are you referring to when the green beans just pop from the soil?

That may explain things around here.
gina

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Steve we are at 5856ft. Our growing season gets confusing. In the 4 1/2 yrs. we've lived here, we have had temps in the 70's through new years, our first snow the first week of Oct., snow in July, temps in the 70's in Jan. There is no telling what this year will bring. Last week it was in the 60's, over the weekend it was in the 80's. I didn't plant anything the first year we were here. I just took note of all that was going on with the weather and native plants, neighbors gardens. I didn't plant last year because my garden was taken over by puppies. The year before that, I planted a small garden of basics. I did get in in very late because of my Dad passing away. Most everything grew great and I even was harvesting a few things that were fine after two light snowfalls in nov.

I don't know what this year will bring, but i figured I won't know until I tried it. I lived by the beach for most of my life. I always had a huge wonderful garden. I am trying to learn a whole new way of gardening.

Monica

So I guess I need to plant watermenlon/pumpkins in a fenced area, like everything else.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
digitS .... When you say the cotton tails are after the bean seedlings are you referring to when the green beans just pop from the soil?

That may explain things around here.
gina
Gina, I saw the first bunny in the garden today. He may or may not have been chewing on the beans but they are just now emerging. So, I guess I'll know in a couple of days what kind of stand I get.

The owls are my friends!! A couple of years ago, a momma owl and her 2 babies moved into the hay barn, near the garden. They could actually sit in the rafters and see part of the garden. I have had very little rabbit damage since that year.

cknmom said:
Steve we are at 5856ft. .. There is no telling what this year will bring. . .
This seems to be the constant at high elevations: changeable weather. I've never lived very high and your elevation, Monica, would be well above the tree line here. It was challenging for me to have a garden at one-half that elevation. I moved down into the valley.

I have had very serious trouble with marmots here. I figure that putting up with them at 2,000 feet is almost toooooo much!

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted Rutabaga a few days ago, i never grew these before. I also planted 4 rows of potatoes and will plant some eggplants.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
An elevation like that is bound to be as challenging as growing in the desert at 2500 feet. I'm having a lot of trouble with bunnies this year also. Most everything is protected with chicken wire but their are ways they find to get in. I don't know if our coyotes are still around or if they went somewhere else. I haven't seen one since last year. They used to keep the rabbit population down for us.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted the following list today (yes I'm way behind):
2 types Morning Glories
4 types of Sun Flowers
3 lettuce mixes
5 tomato plants
1 lavender plant
1 chive plant
1 carrot mix
Moon and Star Watermelons
2 types of pumpkins
1 gourd mix
Goose neck Gourds
Speckled Hound (winter squash)

and I still need to plant
Ronde de Nice (Summer squash)
Sugar Baby (watermelon)
carrots
Golden Bantam (corn)
Scarlet Runner (beans)
All blue potatoes
I currently can't think of the name but their gold/yellow potatoes
and a couple of other things if I have room

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Cats Critters and Garden said:
I planted the following list today (yes I'm way behind):
2 types Morning Glories
4 types of Sun Flowers
3 lettuce mixes
5 tomato plants
1 lavender plant
1 chive plant
1 carrot mix
Moon and Star Watermelons
2 types of pumpkins
1 gourd mix
Goose neck Gourds
Speckled Hound (winter squash)

and I still need to plant
Ronde de Nice (Summer squash)
Sugar Baby (watermelon)
carrots
Golden Bantam (corn)
Scarlet Runner (beans)
All blue potatoes
I currently can't think of the name but their gold/yellow potatoes
and a couple of other things if I have room
It sounds like you had a busy day.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I thought I was done but we had to plant beans a second time and this morning found that the bunnies had got the new beans so I have to plant again. Guess I'll have to put wire around them :he

Latest posts