What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I decided to plant out my garlic yesterday after accidentally digging up a Bluebell bulb and seeing that it had already started to send out roots.
Today, I got the last bed for the year made up, so tomorrow, I will be planting out my shallots and if there is any room left, sow a couple of different types of Onions......seeds getting old so its now or never.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided to plant out my garlic yesterday after accidentally digging up a Bluebell bulb and seeing that it had already started to send out roots.
Today, I got the last bed for the year made up, so tomorrow, I will be planting out my shallots and if there is any room left, sow a couple of different types of Onions......seeds getting old so its now or never.

many of the spring flowering bulbs send out roots the previous late summer or early fall. even within species you can get some wide range of that too (as i have found with various tulips). it usually doesn't kill them to disturb them, they'll regrow the roots, but it might set them back a little - but sometimes you just have to do it... garlic seems to be forgiving about when i get it planted. September through November seems ok for it, once in a while i have found myself planting it in December.

here the garlic is up and growing. we picked up some rain yesterday and last night so that is good for all the gardens and flowers. :) hope you have a good day there!

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I didnt plant the shallots. I checked alot of them and they all told me to go away....not ready yet, so I went outside and set up the bed on the far side of the tool shed. A little lizard poked its head out to ask what I thought I was doing and then ran away.
I should have been working on the last path, but I needed a break from them for a bit.
Most of my time was spent pouring mulch over the new beds and making sure there were plenty of ladders for my baby lizards.
Honestly, they are just so cute!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started tomatoes & eggplant today:

Eggplant - "Diamond" (slim purple Asian type) (2016 seed)
(I had planned to grow "Gretel" again, but forgot to order seed. :oops: Hopefully I can purchase plants from the same nursery that had them last year.)

Tomatoes: (year seed grown follows)
"Black Pepper" (elongated brown/brick red paste) (2014)
"Cleota Pink" (potato-leaf, large pink beefsteak) (2014) *backup to Gogosha*
"Czechoslovakian" (large red plum-shaped) (2015)
"Elfin" (red grape) (2014)
"Gogosha" (potato-leaf, large pink beefsteak) (2005)
"Hungarian Heart" (large pink oxheart) (2015) *backup to Slankard's*
"Nicoviotis Orange" (medium-sized orange beefsteak) (2012)
San Marzano Redorta (elongated red paste) (2014)
"Slankard's" (huge pink oxheart) (2006)

In the process of selecting what tomatoes & peppers to grow this year, the effect of several consecutive bad years has really been noticeable, in terms of the overall age of the seed collection. I'm forced to concede that too much time has been lost, for us to save everything. DW & I will likely be reducing the size of our gardens to around 6000-7000 square feet, so I will be forced to cut back on the size of the collection that we will be maintaining. I will be posting a list soon on the varieties to be dropped, and offering seed for those to anyone interested.

The first peppers have begun germinating, it remains to be seen if the older ones can be revived. A healthy population of PI 315008 has emerged, which is a good sign, since I am trying to restore the original all-red from a population heavily crossed with an orange habanero-type.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two types of snow peas and a shelling pea were planted earlier this week.

Today, some carrot and parsnip seed went in the ground along with a little beet seed.

Quite a few bok choy and other Asian greens needed to be thinned out of the beds in the hoop house. They were moved to an outdoor bed. Everything was watered. The peas have not been watered and the little bit of rain probably did nothing for them. It is supposed to rain again tomorrow but if it is another 1/10", it will be of no help. I should be in the distant garden again Monday and can attach the necessary hardware to the irrigation line and do the needed watering.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
peas! i'm finally going to give the first round of peas a try. i have 16 different kinds of peas to go in this year, 12 of them are new to me to grow. i'm so excited i can hardly type! :)

when i have new varieties to try out i'm leery of planting them all at once when i have a limited supply of seeds. the person who sent them to me likely has plenty more but i treat them as my only supply.

so i will break them into four groups and try three plantings over the next three weeks and save 1/4 for next season if it ends up they are a complete bust.

*bounce bounce bounce* :)

what this really means is that i must get the fence up in the back - otherwise i risk my sprouts to groundhog grazing.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm growing seedlings in a "grazing frame" for my chickens:

grazing frame.jpg

Latest posts