What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This week seed for celery root, and 6 different peppers went into the soil mix.

Those containers are now on the fridge top. I felt a little silly checking for plant growth this morning, after all of 2 days, but I gotta get in the habit!

We need to go to the garden center for some pansy (viola) and petunia seed. Didn't order any and it's been years since these were started with easy success in the greenhouse. DW buys the plants every year but we used to have some novel ones ...

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I'd be mean and post this. I found it as I was out today preparing my beds for planting in the next few days. Obviously a bean pod was buried last fall and the beans decided to sprout now. Hard to believe a week ago Tuesday the high was 33 F (+1 C) and the low was 24 F (-4 C) When I dug them out there was a third one that had not punched through to the surface.

Volunteers.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I thought I'd be mean and post this. I found it as I was out today preparing my beds for planting in the next few days. Obviously a bean pod was buried last fall and the beans decided to sprout now. Hard to believe a week ago Tuesday the high was 33 F (+1 C) and the low was 24 F (-4 C) When I dug them out there was a third one that had not punched through to the surface.

View attachment 39316
Isn't THIS what we live for?!?!?

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Started chard and beets today. And peas were planted last week. I am officially out of seed trays and cells so I need to pot up some spring seedlings.

We also planted 8 fruit trees yesterday and have two pecan trees to plant.
Did you direct sow the chard or did you start indoors? I thought it didn’t go out until about 2 weeks before the last frost? New to growing chard here and live not far from sand mountain. Do I need to plant mine this week?

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Isn't this a fun time of year?!?!?!? We all talk about our dreams of what will grow. Glad nobody holds us to this.:hide
I'm praying that this guy that is coming to look at my fence tomorrow will consider helping me to build a couple of raised beds. They'll be no holding me back if he will. I will be in heaven 🥰

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started my onions yesterday. I had to buy a small sack of seed starter because Walmart and Lowes did not have the Pro-Mix yet, but DS picked some up for me last night. I am getting ready to start a few more things. I got my lights hooked up in the greenhouse and my trays and things out of the shed. I ordered organic aged cow manure that they said probably will not come until April. It depends on the weather when the mud dries up. I am going to by some organic compost and put in my box to start lettuce and other greens. Ordered Kong sunflowers today and going to pick up Marigold seed when I go to town later.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Marie2020, consider some other options! Im sure there’s people in your area who’d help you out. First thing that comes to mind would be a youth group from a local church, maybe an inquiry on a local gardening site would get a response. The fence guy sounds like a logical choice and if not he may know someone?

I’ve read about raised row gardening, eliminating the box! Looks like the dirt is mounded up and leveled on top before planting. Width and length would be what ever worked conveniently for you and of course the height probably wouldnt be more than a foot or so, if that is workable?Probably something on here if you do a search.

My beds are all the same dimensions and having built 11 of them, they go pretty quick. Dimensional lumber is high around here and a consideration but once you got em, you got em!

Latest posts