What aren't you growing next year?

Baymen Moe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I get the most excitement from my garden. The few things I plant that I think the rest of the family enjoys or is willing to try usually go uneaten. I will not plant grape tomatoes, over run with them. Swiss chard, will plant much less. No more beets. No bell peppers, I never get a good yield. Same goes for onions. I can live with just a few tomato plants as well.

Each year seems to dictate what I will plant the next, which includes trying something I haven't tried. Most of what I plant produces an impressive yield, but I will stick with what the family as a whole will use.

Good thread topic btw...

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I will not be growing my summer squashes. Until.....mid summer! They got moldy and at the end squash bugs. So next year, I am going to try lesa's experiment and start them mid season. Probably won't grow any tomatoes other then Romas either. They all did awesome, but we don't eat them. Only use them for sauce and salsa.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Broccoli. Tooooo frustrating. Never have gotten an edible floret; the chickens won't even eat 'em! :p

Taters covered by straw instead of dirt. Nada, nothing, bubkis! :(
Same here, if I do potatoes again they will be covered in dirt.

bayman I agree w/ the bell peppers, I'm not giving up on sweet peppers, just will try something other then bells.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you will be very satisfied with planting your squash in July, Stubborn. Mine is still going strong. I have seen a few squash bugs-but they don't appear to be doing any damage. No cucumber beetles, at all! I planted two hills and the squash just keep on coming!
For those of you tired of trying to grow bell peppers, may I suggest the Marconi's? The plants stay small, the peppers grow huge and plentiful. They are delicious and very similar in taste to the traditional bell.
Please remind not to plant cauliflower next year- or the next!! Every few years I feel compelled to try it, and I always end up giving it to the chickens! Bolts before I even remember I planted it!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Summer yellow neck squash for me. I want much more success w/cabbage family. Chickens all got them before they had a chance, my fault.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I won't be planting the heirloom cuke called "Homemade Pickles" again. It was the only bad crop I got last Summer. Spindly plants and a very low harvest. I'll find another cuke next Summer.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No tomatillos next year. They take up space and seem to get wormy. Did not develop this year. All my cole crops were eaten by gophers( I think...underground) Like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Garden is fenced to keep chickens and two Dachsunds out. Peppers did well, tomatoes not as well. Pink Henderson tomatoes a bust.

Liana

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No more onions. I've tried four varieties over two years and can't seem to get the hang of them. Will probably use that space to try cubanelle peppers and maybe some kind of bush bean. Cinnamon basil was interesting, but I just don't go for it as much as other types. Will likely only plant two varieties of basil next year.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Shallots are easier to grow than onions and much higher in price if you buy them in a store. They can act as a substitute for onions in just about any recipe. Potato onions also do well under adverse conditions.

Latest posts