What aren't you growing next year?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sometimes happens to me too SeedCorn. Last year I grew only 2 well hidden Tomato plants, (hidden from the gophers of course), and one of them came in a 6 pack. I gave the other 5 to a friend who was grateful, and next time we went to town he bought lunch at BeBop burger, a 1950's styled burger place in Ukiah. So I got a Betty Boop and a James Dean with extra Bop sauce (similar to Arctic Circle's), and their to die for garlic fries. Oh yea! I got a raspberry chocolate mint milkshake too! All that for 5 Tomato plants that I considered as too many extras!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
seedcorn said:
Here is my problem, some things--eggplants, chili peppers--I'd only grow 2 plants but I have to buy them 4 to pack. 2 won't take u much room but 4--too much. Last year chili's came 6 to pack. Same with certain tomato plants
How do I say this? I've been known to not plant every plant in a pack. It does take self-discipline.
Surely you JEST? I can't do that...........that's murder. I have a hard time pulling out volunteer tomato plants. If I pay $$$$ for a plant, it's going to be planted. Now if I could give it to someone, I could do that. but to just kill it after buying it, no way........(shock, horror,etc)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Im with Seedcorn, I find a place even if its on the deck in a pot I can't NOT plant something. Although I do admit to spending extra $ to buy something in 3" pots vs the cell packs so I don't have extras. I even altered some of my plantings to make room for volunteers that popped up.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
Im with Seedcorn, I find a place even if its on the deck in a pot I can't NOT plant something. Although I do admit to spending extra $ to buy something in 3" pots vs the cell packs so I don't have extras. I even altered some of my plantings to make room for volunteers that popped up.
I'm WAY too cheap to buy in 3" pot and pay the extra........my dutch german roots will not allow me to do that either. Just have to buy the 4 pack from local nursery and put up with the problems of 2 too many plants.......of the misery of it. On volunteer peppers plants I make room all the time just because I'm curioius what it is.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I start nearly everything from seed, and I always start way more than what I'll need. I give away as many as I can, but I too have trouble throwing out a perfectly healthy plant. That is why I ended up with 128 tomato plants a few years ago :/ I threw some out one year (into the compost pile) only to discover later that some of them were growing anyway. I took pity on them and moved them to the garden. :p

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I am chewing a knuckle wanting to say something! . . . or, some 7 things :rolleyes:.

[. Sweet potatoes!?? I hope you will be happy with small ones, Gardening with Rabbits. That's all I've been able to accomplish in our neck of the woods. Steve
I planted a few about 3 years ago. I did not plant that many, but I had some that were not bad size, but I was thinking it was the ground, but now I wonder. I planted Georgia Jet, but after what you said, I got to thinking maybe there is a different kind and found Beauregard. Georgia Jet are 100 days and Beauregard 90 to 95 days and said for northern gardens. Gurney and Park have them. Gurney reviews have a couple in the norh with good success. I planted Butternut squash and they are 95 days.
I found this article.

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2011/10/growing-sweet-potatoes-in-my-northern.html

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I start nearly everything from seed, and I always start way more than what I'll need. I give away as many as I can, but I too have trouble throwing out a perfectly healthy plant. That is why I ended up with 128 tomato plants a few years ago :/ I threw some out one year (into the compost pile) only to discover later that some of them were growing anyway. I took pity on them and moved them to the garden. :p
:lol: I do the same. I could not throw my tomato "sticks" out. They were beautiful and then had to much sun and lost all their leaves. I went ahead and planted what lived and it was amazing how well they did. I had about 50 little itty bitty bee balm plants and could not throw them away and planted them all over the place. :weee Bee balm everywhere now.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried growing Indian Corn last year and I didn't keep up with it. So I won't be doing that again. I also had an epic fail with parsnips, purple radish, garlic, and celery. I will try the celery again, but I won't be trying the parsnips, purple radish, or garlic. Oh did I mention I tried growing lemon peppers too? The season isn't long enough here for them to turn yellow so I will be giving up on those as well.

Geeze, now that I look at my list I had a lot of failures last year :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HPQ, it is all a matter of perspective.

Gardening', quite a few years ago now, Dad wanted to grow sweet potatoes. So, I did a little research and ordered Georgia Jets for him. I thought they did fine but Dad was disappointed. I think he was trying to get back to his New Mexican "roots" and just expected too much.

A couple years ago, I had a really tasty purple sweet potato from a grocery store! I decided that I could put a couple plants in the garden. They were small but I thought they did fine. DW, this time, was disappointed . . . :rolleyes:

I've looked long and hard at Beauregard and nearly ordered it a couple of years ago -- but, what do I know??

(I'd love to toss in my 2 about okra, Dad grew that once (& only once), too. I only remember it from restaurants and out of a can but I think it tastes good. Still, Jared must have had all he can take by now ;)!)

Steve
what do I know??

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year was a tough year I wouldn't write off that much unless it needs more time to ripen. The 3" pots I buy are for new varieties or for spacing. No point in getting another 4 pack if I only have room for 1 or 2 plants.

Once we're no longer renting and can actually have a spot in the basement that I can keep the cats out of then I plan on doing more seed saving and actually do seed starts inside. Otherwise I buy many things from my local nursery since my seed starts all end up chewed up by our cats.

I'm going to retry okra I promise! ;) Trust me I take my lumps with the best of them.