What aren't you growing next year?

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What in the world are potato onions????

I was over run by yellow pear tomatoes so not as many plants and next year I think I am going to retry early girl... I really liked most of my heirloom tomatoes...the best cucumber was boothby's blond my DH was surprise by how flavorful they were so I will do them again... I will try planting my squashes later to avoid the squash bug...and hope we dont get an early frost...I wont plant scarlet runner beans again... need to plant Kennibunk potatoes instead of the fancy ones that didnt do well...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Liana said:
No more onions. I've tried four varieties over two years and can't seem to get the hang of them. Will probably use that space to try cubanelle peppers and maybe some kind of bush bean. Cinnamon basil was interesting, but I just don't go for it as much as other types. Will likely only plant two varieties of basil next year.
I was in same situation planting bulbs. I now use starts from green house, get good onions now.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
2busy- have you tried broccoli as a fall crop? I think your summers are too hot...
Yeah, I've been told that! ;) Problem is, I've had no success growing them from seed, & the nurseries here don't have any seedlings out anymore! :(

hoodat - what are potato onions?? :hu

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
lesa said:
2busy- have you tried broccoli as a fall crop? I think your summers are too hot...
Yeah, I've been told that! ;) Problem is, I've had no success growing them from seed, & the nurseries here don't have any seedlings out anymore! :(

hoodat - what are potato onions?? :hu
Potato onions look like onions but are more closely related to shallots. They grow in clumps, as shallots do, and store just as well. the topper is that they are resistant to most of the diseases and insects that plague regular onions and will grow in any climate.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
2bz, don't give up. I start my transplants every year. Get yourself some seeds and direct sow them. In your climate, no need to transplant. If you don't have confidence that they will grow, plant a ton of seeds. You can always thin them out later. Good luck!

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No more corn. Everything wants to eat the corn, once the corn is pulled the bugs are already there so they start eating everything else! No more lettuce, I prefer spinach, but only one row of spinach this time.

Let's see...will grow onions, probably from the bulbs again. Was able to grow them to a decent size, just not "huge" like I expected.

May grow some potatoes, but will probably grow some cucumbers so I can make some pickles!

MORE tomatoes! :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like this classic topic!

Some things I decide not to grow the following year because of pests

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cabbage. Worms ate them, they didn't get big and they took up space that I could have planted something else.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may not grow my "mystery girl" tomatoes again. Do you remember? They were from seed in a packet of Early Girls. I figured they may be either a parent of the Early Girl hybrid or Stupice.

Stupice is the only potato-leaf tomato that the seed company sell and the seed could have contaminated the packet. Still, I don't think so and have grown Stupice before & didn't have good luck with fruit development.

The mystery tomato had fruit that tasted like and looked exactly like Early Girl. However . . . the plant in 2011 had lots of foliage problems. The 2012 plants had the same and it spread to other, nearby varieties but started with the mysteries! I think they have little resistance to what I believe it is early blight.

Steve

Latest posts