What aren't you growing next year?

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What vegetables or types aren't you growing next year and why?

I'm not going to be growing Chocolate Strips (type of tomatoes) they don't produce well and the few they did went bad very fast. We will see what else doesn't make the list when I do my big and of the year harvest.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For me Sugar Baby watermelons. I planted 6 plants that were 5" long multiple leaves and a few vines in each of the peat pots I started them. Put them in the ground that size Memorial Day weekend. I just removed them out of the garden since we're getting patches of frost the last few nights. I haven't had a chance to see if any of them are any good, but I'm not holding my breath. I got over 18 watermelons each the size of a volleyball or bigger but none of them have a nice white spot. The vines had died back and it was just the melons in the garden, so we'll see.

Im going to do Yellow Dolls in their place if I do watermelons again next year.

On a more positive note my Kentucky wonder pole beans earned the right to be put in all my gardens for the future. Excellent quality, production once established were fantastic, and was really impressed with what we got. Definately going to do them again.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Corn, any kind, all kinds.

Sorry didn't post the why, b/c it is a bugger to grow and every insect in the world wants to eat it. I have never got to harvest an ear to eat yet, so I officially give up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
New Big Dwarf tomato

I thought that a nice size slicer on a small, upright plant would be a good idea.

The fruit is so deformed that I don't want to use it for anything :rolleyes: ! Disappointing.

I may have to give up on my Santon Charentais melons. We are going to have another blast of heat. It is almost more than we can hope for and certainly more than can be expected this late. If it doesn't ripen those little melons, I don't think that there would ever be a good enuf season here for them! I'm not sure how any other Charentais melon would have survived our Junuary weather this year but it DID finally warm up. If those Santon were tuff enuf to survive Junuary, why can't they ripen fruit after a nice warm August and a warm September?

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I won't say I am not going to plant any heirloom tomatoes- but they will not get too much space in the garden. While some of them are interesting, they produced almost nothing and had all kinds of problems (cracking, rotting on the vine) etc. Will stick to the hybrids for the majority of the harvest. Was satisfied with everything else we planted... My sugar babies weren't anything to brag about- but I just love having a melon in the garden- so I will probably give it another try next year!
Saved some onion seeds and am looking forward to starting onions from seed for the first time!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Blue lake pole beans (poor growth, low yield)
Snow peas (poor growth NO yield)
Potatoes in barrels (all died)
Armenian cucumbers (got ZERO cukes despite trying 3 times)
Anasazi beans (other varieties taste better though they did grow well)
Sweet potatoes in containers (low yield - will plant in the ground next year though. The few I got were delicious!)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never planting corn again. Low yield, too much water.

Never planting the baby watermelons - stooopid results.

Planted 2 purchased okra's. One died, the other produced 2 okras. Again, not a wise investment of my precious water.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Broccoli. Tooooo frustrating. Never have gotten an edible floret; the chickens won't even eat 'em! :p

Taters covered by straw instead of dirt. Nada, nothing, bubkis! :(

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
2busy- have you tried broccoli as a fall crop? I think your summers are too hot...

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Roma tomatoes

I believe the genetics are prone to blossom rot. We are working on breeding tomatoes with the same flavor, but with the better genetics!

Latest posts