What did you can (freeze, dehydrate, preserve) today?

Mosquito

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Today I made giant kosher dill spears. I used Mrs Wages Kosher Dill Pickle mix and added extra garlic and a hot pepper to each jar. I make these with oversize cucumbers and cut into 6=8 spears each and cut off any of the center strip that has seeds that are overmature. My husband loves them. I prefer bread and butter pickles.

2628327795_c792748c97.jpg

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
60 ears of Silver Queen sweet corn that a UPS friend of my DH picked this morning before coming to work at 3 am. I only paid $10 for the entire crate!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yesterday, 25 pints of plum jelly & 20 cups of shredded zucchini. Today, 10 pints of hot green tomato pickles.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
2 Qts of Squash in the freezer. Last week I put uo 8 Qts of tomatos and 7 Qts of Peaches and then made 15 pints of peach jelly.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lots of blueberries ~ froze, about 20 lbs.

I divide them by fresh eating and pie making, The larger, sweeter ones go into fresh eating bags and we eat them by the handful, or use them for pancakes and muffins. The others go for making pies, angelfood cake topping, etc.

silkieboxerluv

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Im jealous! The only thing weve gotten out of our garden was a head of broccoli! It was gone in no time.:/

elnabelms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yesterday I canned 19 pints of applesauce. My Mom lives south of Phoenix and has a yellow apple tree that ripens in the summer. She taught me to can 40 years ago, and now she brings me fruit rather than can herself. Of course, it's been 115 degrees there all week, I don't blame her for not canning in that heat! :rolleyes:
The fruit is great for canning! I'm planning to use Elderberries off of a large bush in my yard to make apple/elderberry jam, has anyone ever tried that? I love to mix fruits when I make jam. My favorite was apricot/plum jam, I made that a lot when we lived in Colorado and had several trees of each. They ripen about the same time, and I started making them as a way to aget them canned quickly, but loved the results. It became a tradition, it's sure not something you can find in the store.

jc12551

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just got done with two bushels of corn. About 120 ears. I blanched them and cut them off the cob and froze them. Dang I am tired.

Latest posts